Do u mind Form/ subj teacher's speak poor English /Chinese ?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Do u mind Form/ subj teacher's speak poor English /Chinese ?

Postby aggellim » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:06 pm

HI all Parents,

My fd commented her DS' Form teacher's speak poor English .An example . :twisted: this week the Boys were taught "HOW TO ON" the computer, among other things .The other day, My Fd P1 DS could tell her, "Mum, Mdm Y doesn't always speak good English!" MY Fd DS doesn't always speak good english either, which means she must be pretty bad for him to notice. :cry: :cry:

She sometimes tells him not to correct something the teacher has asked him to, because the teacher's 'correction' is actually wrong. :roll: :roll:

She worry because as the form teacher, she takes the kids all subjects except Mother Tongue. How awful to be exposed to poor English at this impressionable age . :lol: :lol:

What to do or we must learnt to 'take it easy'( just close one eye ) ???? :wink: :wink:

[/img]

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Do u mind Form/ subj teacher's speak poor English /Chine

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:18 pm

aggellim wrote:She worry because as the form teacher, she takes the kids all subjects except Mother Tongue. How awful to be exposed to poor English at this impressionable age . :lol: :lol:

What to do or we must learnt to 'take it easy'( just close one eye ) ???? :wink: :wink:

For me, if the teacher is passionate with kids and teaching, i can forgo the not so perfect english (my K2 boy's teacher doesn't speak perfect english and their mandarin teacher also make error at times....I don't speak good enough english too).

Your friend can take this opportunity to get her kids to tell her more about what happened or is taught in school in the guise of supplementing the teacher's not-so-perfect english teaching. :wink: Seriously, key is to keep communication open with the kids so that we as parents can chip in to correct the english if need be.

Additionally, i will only accept such for lower primary. I have certain expectations of upper primary teachers and am put off by some teachers who bother to blog to try to create a better relationship with students, but are careless to let their blog entries be riddled with spelling or sentence structure errors (or even over-usage of shortforms!).

jmho.

(erm...which school huh?)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby aggellim » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:48 pm

HI jedamum ,

Is ACS ,I agree with you as i do not wish this incident will happen to my boy :lol:

My Fd take it seriously becos her DS will not want to follow or listen to her when she tried to correct him. :twisted: he will insist that his teacher teach the correct while he said the wrong... she don't want him to learn the wrong words from the school... she don't want to see him showing confusion when he goes Upper Primary . :cry: :cry:

My Fd said Wrong nevermind, to admit mistakes is parts & parcels of our life.... learn from mistakes, etc.. etc.. , If not the teacher won't realise her own mistake . If u r the parents , May i know Do U dare to ask..... ??? Keke......ke :wink: :wink:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:01 pm

aggellim wrote:...My Fd take it seriously becos her DS will not want to follow or listen to her when she tried to correct him. :twisted: he will insist that his teacher teach the correct while he said the wrong...

I'm sorry, but I think your friend has good reason for concern. It is very difficult to correct children once they have gotten bad habits like poor language skills at this age. Regardless of how dedicated the teacher may be to the job, she must be proficient in the subjects she is teaching. That's why I prefer languages to be taught by native speakers.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support