PSLE English 2008

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How did your child find the English paper ?

Easy
63%
Moderate
38%
Difficult
No votes

Total votes : 8

PSLE English 2008

Postby lizawa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 am

Most of the students I came across found the English paper easy. There were some who finished and left the exam hall way before the end of the paper.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Sarah » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Are you refering to Paper 2, was the cloze passage difficult?

Care to share the Paper 1's topics.
Thank you.

Sarah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: PSLE English 2008

Postby Fairy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:12 pm

lizawa wrote:Most of the students I came across found the English paper easy. There were some who finished and left the exam hall way before the end of the paper.

Yes. I heard many students who came out from the school's gate making that comment too. According to my child, many of them slept during the exam! In my friend's child's school, same scenario.

If Paper is really 'easy', then only those good in writing (compo) will shine.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Sarah wrote:Are you refering to Paper 2, was the cloze passage difficult?

Care to share the Paper 1's topics.
Thank you.

For the compulsory question, it was to write a formal letter to the residents that you lost a pet (I think it was a rabbit) and give some description of the lost pet.

I don't know what is the picture compo. The continuous compo was a situation whereby an old lady was being pushed into a lift by a man who was in a rush... something like that...

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Fairy wrote:
lizawa wrote:Most of the students I came across found the English paper easy. There were some who finished and left the exam hall way before the end of the paper.

Yes. I heard many students who came out from the school's gate making that comment too. According to my child, many of them slept during the exam! In my friend's child's school, same scenario.

If Paper is really 'easy', then only those good in writing (compo) will shine.

Agree, will be difficult to score A*. But my son said there were a few "tricky" questions.

One of them is in the vocab section, the same meaning for the word "detest". 2 possible options: "dislike" or "hate". Both are possible synonyms. So need to base on the context of the passage. He felt the answer should be "hate". Some of his friends said "dislike".

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mumwgals » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:34 pm

lizawa wrote:One of them is in the vocab section, the same meaning for the word "detest". 2 possible options: "dislike" or "hate". Both are possible synonyms. So need to base on the context of the passage. He felt the answer should be "hate". Some of his friends said "dislike".

Detect, according to dic.com, means 'to dislike intensely'. I think your son is right, it should be hate.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support