Composition

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Composition

Postby Musicstar » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 am

HI,

I attended the meet-the- parents-session and was told by form teacher that my girl composition is not good. She translated the sentence from Chinese to English. In order to write good English, the teacher told me to emphasie on SVO (Subject , verb & object) and preposition phrases. I need advice from others where can I get such book. In popular, there are grammar and vocabulary but not SVO only. Is there any other way to help my girl to improve on her composition? My girl read story books which we have borrow from library. Is there any good story to help.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Composition

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am

Musicstar wrote:HI,

I attended the meet-the- parents-session and was told by form teacher that my girl composition is not good. She translated the sentence from Chinese to English. In order to write good English, the teacher told me to emphasie on SVO (Subject , verb & object) and preposition phrases. I need advice from others where can I get such book. In popular, there are grammar and vocabulary but not SVO only. Is there any other way to help my girl to improve on her composition? My girl read story books which we have borrow from library. Is there any good story to help.

Since your girl do read story books, why not use them to help improve her svo. You can do it the comprehension style, ask her questions about the story and expect / require her to mention or lift sentences from the passage. Perhaps she will be more conscious of sentence structure then.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support