PSLE Science 2008

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How did your child find the Science paper ?

Easy
44%
Moderate
56%
Difficult
No votes

Total votes : 9

PSLE Science 2008

Postby lizawa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:32 am

How did your child find the Science paper ?

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: PSLE Science 2008

Postby Fairy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:59 am

lizawa wrote:How did your child find the Science paper ?

Easy. So do most of the children at school. Heard their comments while waiting for my child outside school gate.

Anyway, it doesn't mean the kids will score well even if they find the paper 'easy'. Firstly, they may be careless. Secondly, they may think they know when their answers may be wrong, Thirdly, if most of them find the paper easy, it will be more difficult to score A* or get a high T-score.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kiasuson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:06 am

So this year T-Score will be very close and difficult to break last year record.

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lizawa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 pm

My son commented that the questions are all "high order thinking" questions, so need to think deeper. Some of the friends said the questions look easy but not easy to answer. :?

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: PSLE Science 2008

Postby lizawa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:24 pm

Fairy wrote:
lizawa wrote:How did your child find the Science paper ?

Easy. So do most of the children at school. Heard their comments while waiting for my child outside school gate.

Anyway, it doesn't mean the kids will score well even if they find the paper 'easy'. Firstly, they may be careless. Secondly, they may think they know when their answers may be wrong, Thirdly, if most of them find the paper easy, it will be more difficult to score A* or get a high T-score.

Yes, so it's a test of who is more "careful". :) And normally girls tend to be more careful, so we see more female top scorers. This is my observation.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:28 pm

My son asked me this question (not in exact words)-

What is most important to plants
1) water
2) sunlight
3) nutrients
4) carbon dioxide

He chose sunlight but his class top Science student chose nutrients. I sux at Science., pls help. :wink:

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lizawa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:29 pm

kiasuson wrote:So this year T-Score will be very close and difficult to break last year record.

Last year's record was 294. I don't think it will be easy to break anyway, for the next 10 years. I recalled a boy from Nanyang Pri. held the record of 287 or 289 for more than 10 years. :)

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jujuboys » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:26 pm

For me, I would choose carbon dioxide, because plants "breathe" on carbon dioxide. I doubt a plant can survive if we put it inside a vacuum environment.

1) water (cactus can survive without water)
2) sunlight (you can use artificial light nowadays)
3) nutrients (organic plants don't need nutrients, only water)

But I'm not answering from P6 science perspective. Just some logical thinking. So I may be wrong too.

jujuboys
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:My son asked me this question (not in exact words)-

What is most important to plants
1) water
2) sunlight
3) nutrients
4) carbon dioxide

Check out this webpage. Personally, I will take water as the most important, because that page hardly mentioned it, so it must be so important that it is a given :)

And if 30% of questions are like that, then I think it has been a very difficult paper indeed.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby kiasuson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:31 pm

I think the question is not so easy. My son recap that it is a question with 2 pots showing different number of seeds. One with only two and the other with a few. They also show the effect after a few days. One with big roots and the other crowded pots with small roots but tall plants. From this, they ask what the experiment shows and which factor affect the results.

1) water
2) sunlight
3) nutrients
4) carbon dioxide

My son choose Nutrients because of the small roots...

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support