music exam and psle

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

music exam and psle

Postby Lynn2 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Hello mummies

Just wonder, do u still let your child continue with grade 7 or 8 piano exam during the psle year?Am still thinking whether to decide for my girl to go ahead with her grade 7 piano exam this year, as in pri five, or to delay to next march.

Anyone has experience to share?or to advice?thanks alot.

Rgds
Lynn2

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cascada » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:17 pm

My sons used to take piano exam in Sep when they just started. When they reached P3 or P4, I would bring forward their piano exam to Mar as I already forsee their higher grade piano exam would clash with PSLE. I definitely won't want them to take piano exam prior to or during PSLE.

cascada
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: music exam and psle

Postby phankao » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Lynn2 wrote:Hello mummies

Just wonder, do u still let your child continue with grade 7 or 8 piano exam during the psle year?Am still thinking whether to decide for my girl to go ahead with her grade 7 piano exam this year, as in pri five, or to delay to next march.

Anyone has experience to share?or to advice?thanks alot.

Rgds
Lynn2

If can take in march, then it's ok. If not, I'd reschedule. I did allow my dd1 to take her g6 exam in aug during her psle year tho. but that's gr 6.

I didn't allow my ds to take his g8 exam in psle year, so he's doing it this year.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Last edited by snowz on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MdmKS » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:58 pm

I think July is still ok but not Sept, for July you can still practice during June vacation and clear it in July after that stop for a while and focus on PSLE and . If you take in March and stop after that it will be a long break before they get back again after PSLE.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phankao » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:11 am

MdmKS wrote:I think July is still ok but not Sept, for July you can still practice during June vacation and clear it in July after that stop for a while and focus on PSLE and . If you take in March and stop after that it will be a long break before they get back again after PSLE.

Even if they take in March, they will just continue with lessons on their diploma syllabus and then take that in sec 1 or sec2, why not?

Anyway, I was glad not to allowing my boy to take in his p6 year, bc he was not ready for March bc he had only just started on the syllabus in Dec for g8, and he got super busy in p6 year (v v much busier than my eldest was in p6 year), so we gave up all thots of him doing his exam as it would be risky.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby musette » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 am

Hi,

My son in P6 this year will be taking gr 7 piano this July/ Aug. We have not received the actual exam date yet, but historically it is early Aug.

Guess my son is not as busy as other children because he does not take part in any Math competition nor is he applying for DSA. Anyway, we are only aiming for a Pass this time.

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Lynn2 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

musette and everyone, may I know how long usually it takes to practise grade 7 pieces if u skipped grade 6 for the exam.DD told me this is the first time that she needs to play one of the pieces till her fingers almost surrender.

thanks again

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MdmKS » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:10 am

Lynn2 wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback.

musette and everyone, may I know how long usually it takes to practise grade 7 pieces if u skipped grade 6 for the exam.DD told me this is the first time that she needs to play one of the pieces till her fingers almost surrender.

thanks again

Yes, my child just taken g6 this march. supposed to take the exam last yr but was not ready at that time. it is true that a lot of practics were needed, the week before exam is the CA1,can't really focus. Immediately after CA1, only a few days towards exam, practice like mad. Aiyo, tears and sweats ...

Just wondering how this piano qualification of the p6s will help them in their DSA?

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby musette » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:19 am

MdmKS wrote:Just wondering how this piano qualification of the p6s will help them in their DSA?

Err... I don't think it helps in DSA application. Otherwise, you can bet that all the parents will be pushing their kids to go for the piano exam instead of deferring.

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support