P5/P6 - English

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

P5/P6 - English

Postby Sarah » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi,

I noticed that my kid could not score full marks for his English Comprehension in Paper 2.

He understood the passage as I made him re-tell it to me but having problem answering.

Any method/way to coach him? Please help.
Thanks.

Sarah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Re-tell the passage may mean regurgitating if he has excellent memory so that may not be a good test of comprehension.

To know if he really understands, you have to ask him questions with answers that need to be inferred. If he can do that, then it shows that he really understands the passage and the meaning of the story.

Afterwhich, the cliche, "Practice makes perfect" kicks in....

As for scoring full marks, that is an exam technique he has to master by knowing what the teacher is looking for.

Otherwise to me, if a child can comprehend a passage 90% and not score full marks due to model answers required by the teacher, it is good enough for me.

Postby Sarah » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi,
Any good and reliable ( refering to the given answers) comprehension book to recommend?
Thanks.

Sarah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hopeful4future » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:33 am

at p2, comprehension should be quite straightforward. i don't think it's all about the grades, but they are a good indicator of his performance! it's a big leap from primary two to higher levels, so you might want to start him on a very strong grounding. for my boy i started him with one-to-one tuition so that he gets good foundation for compre as well as compo! so far he's had very consistent good grades under this tutor's guidance :) she coaches him for math english and science. :wink:

hopeful4future
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support