Communication with School

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Open Communication with School

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 36

Communication with School

Postby jedamum » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:39 pm

Will/have you openly communicate with the school/teachers with regards to school issues involving your child or the school's policy/teacher's conduct etc?

Or will/are you be more reserved for fear that your kid may be ostracized?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Communication with School

Postby Champion » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:51 pm

jedamum wrote:Will/have you openly communicate with the school/teachers with regards to school issues involving your child or the school's policy/teacher's conduct etc?

Hi,
I believe in openly communicate with the school - esp the principal with regards to the school issue.

I have raised my concern to the Kindergarten principal that my child's Chinese teacher is not preparing the children sufficient for Primary One Education. I discussed with her on the syllabus and worksheets that they have done and told her about my opinion. The prinicipal is very open in accepting my suggestion and even arranged for the Chinese teacher to sit down together for discussion.

I see some improvement after the sesssion and am glad that both principal & chinese teacher are open for suggestion :)

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby aggellim » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:04 pm

HI all parent ,

I have always been involved in Parent Suport activities in school and get the chance to see teachers close up regularly. From what I have observed, teachers these day are more aware of parents expectations including feeding back progress (or lack of it). Teachers are also human and some simply lack sufficient skills on how to comunicate effectively, sounding as if they are complaining. It also has much to do with the attitudes of Principal/Vice P. as they are lead the way. Both the Principals in my Ds's schools have great people skills, are approachable and this has filtered to the teaching community in the schools. :lol:

Also, teachers usually know which student has parents who are concerned about progress and feedback, and which students have parents who do not care or do not want to have anything to do with school. :wink:

For my Ds, his Form Teacher will give us parent's a letter giving us her email/phone number. We also get a letter from his MT teacher! I could Call or Email/SMS the teacher if there are anything that I need clarifications or feedback on my ds. :lol:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EN » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi

I have two primary schook kids in different school. I have been practising open communication since they were in childcare. Some teachers/ principal accept the suggestions/request for helps/feedbacks openly. Some, I really cringe at the way they responded back.

So, these days, once a teacher responded to me negatively, I will never post another question/feedback to the teacher.

aggellim wrote
For my Ds, his Form Teacher will give us parent's a letter giving us her email/phone number. We also get a letter from his MT teacher! I could Call or Email/SMS the teacher if there are anything that I need clarifications or feedback on my ds.

Yes my D form teacher & MT teacher wrote a letter to all parents at the beginning of the year. I have their e-mail address & phone number too & they responded to me within the day. I'm extremely impress with their dedication.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 pm

jedamum wrote:Will/have you openly communicate with the school/teachers with regards to school issues involving your child or the school's policy/teacher's conduct etc?

I voted 'No'.
I lost sleep last night thinking about the long letter that i was going to write to the principal for certain class policies that we don't see eye-to-eye with. After short sleep, i woke up and dismissed the thought. on one hand, worry that kid get ostracized, on the other hand, don't want to pamper the kid. but then worry that kid will succumb to the unnecessary stress created by such a system.
giving the teacher's policy another chance and will see what happens next cos sometimes we can be too quick to judge.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

To engage Princpal/Form Teacher or let it be?

Postby Bear.w.me » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:51 pm

I have chosen 'no' for upper primary.
General feedback is alright especially at lower primary.

Two matters I encountered that I came across:
1. Relief teacher for most of the time because FT goes on maternity. The reply is 'teachers are also human'
2. Someone complained to MOE , FT lectured the class for one whole period!! Not lesson for one whole period despite PSLE year!

真是火冒三丈.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Yerdua » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:25 pm

When kids are in pre-sch education, parents and children are the customers of the school. (biz comes from parents and children). As such, our feedback/ concerns/ complaints will be handled prompt and nicely as not to lose biz.

But when comes to primary school education, cards are turned against us. Though schools do 'promote' open comunication, all we can do is just 'feedback'. End of the day, the Sch, principals or teachers will have the final say in everything that matters to us and our children. What children and parents can do is to 'accomodate.' :roll:

jmho

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mathsparks » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 pm

For pre-school, definitely, open communication, after all, parents pay $$$.

But in sec and parents keep seeing the teachers/principal to provide feedback, the child will be teased by his peers.

Or, even if it's a one-off feedback, the teacher may question the child in class, making the kid embarrass again.

A lot depends on how receptive the school is to feedback. My 2cts.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 pm

For me, it depends on what the issue is so my answer is a maybe. I don't have a fixed approach and I do not encourage a fixed approach.

Yes the fear is real but I would also let the school know at the risk of such a thing for my child, I have outweighed the change will stand to benefit the school and everyone more. Otherwise I will stand by my fear and find an alternative solution to my problem.

I believe it is also preferred to provide feedback as long as there is a constructive solution proposed at the same time. It is always easy to state problem statement but most people have no resolution and that actually put people in a spot. However, if the resolution is not accepted, we should not feel dejected either, at least we have tried.

Postby CJS » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Last year, my ds physics teacher skipped six (2 period each) lessons in one term because she needs to be involved in basketball CCA. :x The Physics lessons are scheduled in his class time-table. I complained to the HOD but all he said was tat she is the only teacher-in-charge of the CCA and tat he himself also do this at times. :stupid: However, he said he will talk to her and after tat she still "pon-tan" the class. :shock:

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support