How to improve P5 English and chinese comprehension skills

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to improve P5 English and chinese comprehension skills

Postby lovely » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 am

Hi, anyone to share and good tips ? Thx !

lovely
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Suz855 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Read and read ..................their language skills will improve so will their comprehension

:D

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Suz855 wrote:Read and read ..................their language skills will improve so will their comprehension

:D

read and read ...... think and think
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to improve P5 English and chinese comprehension skil

Postby livewith_vanilla » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:27 pm

lovely wrote:Hi, anyone to share and good tips ? Thx !

Well I'm a p6 and I generally do well in my comprehension, even though I have no idea what the passage is about (especially for the chinese...)

Basically, I feel that one must read the questions first, highlight the key points and then begin to read.

After reading the whole passage, I would bracket each paragraph up and write at the side the key points the passage is talking about.

Like for example:

There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning ; but since dinner (Mrs Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre and a rain so penetrating, that further outdoor exercise was now out of the question.

Taken from : Jane Eyre (Chapter 1)

I would bracket ( "}" ) the whole paragraph up and write at the side :

Explains why there was no possibility of taking a walk.

Something like this.

I find it extremely useful, especially for long passages (esp for chinese) as when answering the questions, one must refer back to the passage and the bracketed paragraphs with its key point makes it much easier for one to find the answer she/he needs quickly.

Also, one must take note of the tense used and not to answer more than what is needed. Basically, one should answer straight to the point and not tell a grandmother's story before deriving to the answer.

One should also read more often, and attempt to analyse each paragraph so as to make it a habit when it comes to doing exams or tests.

This is purely my opinion. :)

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:48 am

thanks for the tip.

livewith_vanilla wrote:

Well I'm a p6 and I generally do well in my comprehension, even though I have no idea what the passage is about (especially for the chinese...)

Basically, I feel that one must read the questions first, highlight the key points and then begin to read.

After reading the whole passage, I would bracket each paragraph up and write at the side the key points the passage is talking about.

Like for example:

There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning ; but since dinner (Mrs Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre and a rain so penetrating, that further outdoor exercise was now out of the question.

Something like this.

I find it extremely useful, especially for long passages (esp for chinese) as when answering the questions, one must refer back to the passage and the bracketed paragraphs with its key point makes it much easier for one to find the answer she/he needs quickly.

Also, one must take note of the tense used and not to answer more than what is needed. Basically, one should answer straight to the point and not tell a grandmother's story before deriving to the answer.

One should also read more often, and attempt to analyse each paragraph so as to make it a habit when it comes to doing exams or tests.

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Joy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:48 am

livewith_vanilla wrote:

Like for example:

Something like this.

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support