Teach Chinese

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Teach Chinese

Postby juz_me » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Hiee,

I am thinking of teaching Chinese to my 6 years old son. I was wondering what and how to go about doing it besides asking him to do assessment books?

Any suggestions?

Can any mummies share what/how did your Chinese tutor teaches your child besides going through homework/spelling with the child?

Thank you.

juz_me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vkoh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 am

Hi,
You can try to start off with han yu pin ying 1st as they are 1st taught in P1 nowadays. Hope this helps. :)

vkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:37 pm

vkoh wrote:Hi,
You can try to start off with han yu pin ying 1st as they are 1st taught in P1 nowadays. Hope this helps. :)

Personally, I feel han yu pin ying will impede rather than help preschool children learn or even enjoy the Chinese language. Maybe I'm old school, but the beauty of the Chinese language is in the written character, and children should be taught to at least recognize up to 300 chinese characters before entering Primary one. Writing and hypy can come later.

There are plenty of preschool Chinese enrichment classes that can help the child achieve this.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby zhangping » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:39 am

ya, agree with ChiefKiasu, should cultivate the interetst fisrt rather than acadamic result, my son is 23month old , he loves to listen to chinese story and even recognize some chinese words! of course we speak chinese at home :wink: ,we are not worried about English since they will pick up from school , so only teach alphabets, numbers to my 23month and some simple English words for my 3yrs girl.

zhangping
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby meredith84 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi,

The most important thing is to make your child feel interesting in Chinese (language, culture, story, etc), afterwards it can be continue more deeper in learning Chinese. I knew someone called Tommy. He's so patient with children, he teach Chinese language. Will PM you for detail, maybe you want to know about his programmes..

meredith84
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support