How to improve P1 Compo?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to improve P1 Compo?

Postby PlayfulFairy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:32 pm

My P1 gal has problems with the following in writing 5-8 sentences for compo.
1) though she has learnt phonics, she has difficulties in spelling
2) weak sentence structure
3) writes stuff that are not important
4) always encounters 'writer's block'- doesn't know how to write

She only reads when I ask her to read. If not, she rather looks at the illustrations in the books or draws cos she feels it is more relaxing.
Any suggestions on how to remediate her weaknesses? Thanks!

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to improve P1 Compo?

Postby Zhen » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 pm

PlayfulFairy wrote:My P1 gal has problems with the following in writing 5-8 sentences for compo.

She only reads when I ask her to read. If not, she rather looks at the illustrations in the books or draws cos she feels it is more relaxing.

Maybe you can try to bring her to buy the books she like and read with her?

Zhen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jeestan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Maybe, you can get her to keep writing everyday a little to practise, or you could get her some good assessment books on creative writing..I think
the book by Lisa Tan is not bad.

jeestan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to improve P1 Compo?

Postby sleepy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:52 pm

PlayfulFairy wrote:My P1 gal has problems with the following in writing 5-8 sentences for compo.

Get some model compositions for her to read at leisure. Available from popular bookshop

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Start by doing a mindmap of the topic that they are to write about. I find that it is helpful for show and tell as well. Guide her by using the 5 Ws and 1 H, who, what, when, where, why and how. 1 sentence for each W and H and you have yourself 5-6 sentences already.

Spelling and sentence construction will need a bit of drilling.

Actually mindmapping is a very good tool to teach our children and it is something that they can apply throughout their education.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cantbearit2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Funz wrote:Start by doing a mindmap of the topic that they are to write about. I find that it is helpful for show and tell as well. Guide her by using the 5 Ws and 1 H, who, what, when, where, why and how. 1 sentence for each W and H and you have yourself 5-6 sentences already.

Spelling and sentence construction will need a bit of drilling.

Actually mindmapping is a very good tool to teach our children and it is something that they can apply throughout their education.

:goodpost:

I will try your method on the 5Ws and 1H too. :D

cantbearit2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:35 am

Hi,

I wonder how long can your child write, some teachers keep telling the students not to write to long but then it kills the creativity right..what do you all think?

BigDad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby livewith_vanilla » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 pm

BigDad wrote:Hi,

I wonder how long can your child write, some teachers keep telling the students not to write to long but then it kills the creativity right..what do you all think?

I would too like to know what's the average lines a P1/P2 child needs to write.

I remember when I was in P1/P2(I'm in P6 this year),my compositions were one page with paragraphs and everything.

I still have my younger years compositions booklets with me

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Usually at P1, we would start off with 5-6 sentences. Then it will slowly develop into 10 sentences.

Depending on the school, some may introduce paragraphing to the children. As such, they may need to write 15 - 20 sentences.

For my students, I encourage them to write at least 15 sentences by end of P1. The faster ones would be taught paragraphing by end of T3. I normally start introducing paragraphing to them in Nov/Dec of their P1 year.

For P2, I normally teach them about structure (introduction, body/climax and ending/conclusion). They also learn about different types of introductions and how to pepper their compos with creative phrases.
Most importantly, I start teaching them direct speech and how to write with proper punctuation. Some of them are rather advanced and want to learn indirect speech (reported speech).

You can try letting her read some model compositions. It helps them to get a rough idea of what is expected from them.

Also, when watching TV programs, get her to re-tell the story in her own words. There are a few 'common topics' that you can search on Youtube for relevant videos and get her to describe from there. Examples: traffic accidents, good deeds (help the blind to cross the road), fire (complete with ambulance and fire engines) and celebrations.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yerdua » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:50 pm

My ds's school requirement for picture composition is 60 words at the term 3.

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support