Moving back to Singapore and my son does not know Chinese!?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Moving back to Singapore and my son does not know Chinese!?

Postby kchia » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm moving back to Singapore with my sons. They were born and raised in the US and we are currently in Canada. My oldest is 7 and so would be in Primary if he passes the admissions test. Spelling is not even a concern for the schools here (US and Canada) at his age!

Should/Can I enroll him for Primary 1 for 2011 instead? As he is a US citizen, he would not be eligible till the last phase (I think). My concern is that he does not know Chinese at all and still will not come Jan. Maybe I'll take this opp. to give him an easy to write Chinese name...

I'm thinking of applying for PR status for them as the fees are substantially less (a difference of about $300! per month for PR vs International Students) but I'm not sure it'll be in time for next year's enrollment

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone know past year test questions for the Admissions Exercise for International Students? I just want to get an idea for what he/I are facing.

Thanks in advance

kchia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby toddles » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 pm

I think you can get exemption for chinese.

heard of people getting that but not sure how. some even can substitute french for chinese.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:39 am

PMed you with details :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:57 am

kchia, you can refer to moe website (see below link) for more info.
You can apply to MOE for exemption from studying chinese. Approval will be considered on case by case basis.
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... ue-policy/

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:00 am

you are moving back to Singapore

your sons are foreigners

for primary school registration, treat as foreigners, and pay foreigner school fees and exempt from Chinese language

if you want citizen benefits, then apply for citizenship and will serve NS in the future - which I think (speculate only, no offence) you want to avoid

you can't have the cake and eat it too

the options are mutually exclusive

I guess for you it is wiser to take the more expensive option
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:02 am

"expensive" is not necessarily monetary

everyone has his / her own definition
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kchia » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:24 pm

The cost of just Primary school is substantial...For 2011, it is $33/month (PR status) vs $256/month (Non ASEAN International Student) and for 2012, it is $51 vs $356. When all three are school age, it'll be $356 x 3 if the rates do not increase by then.

If we continue to live in Singapore such that the boys have to serve army, I guess it'll have to be that case. I'll just have to see it as them returning the benefits they have gained as PR citizens.

I also want the kids to learn Chinese...I struggled through it myself but I think if they are going to have to learn a second lang, it might as well be Mandarin.

kchia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kchia » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Thank you dimsum for the link!

I'll look into it when we apply for school. MOE says mid-stream...not sure he'll qualify being just 7 years old

kchia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Moving back to Singapore and my son does not know Chines

Postby paperone » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi kchia

Welcome to Singapore. Our whole family was posted a country for 2 yrs, when my daughter was in Primary Two and my son was in Primary 5.

Due to demanding international school schedule and we were also trying to revise the challenging Maths and Science of Singapore on almost every weekend. We totally gave up teaching mandarin to my children.

My daughter rejoined the school in July (Primary 4) and the chinese Head of department gave her the Pri 2 text to read to access her chinese level. She could not read a word and I need to apply for 2nd language exemption via MOE.

I discussed with her chinese teacher and to let her join the class as per normal like doing homework, spelling, test and exam. But I ensured the teacher that I will help her. Daily I used Pri 4 A/B Handbook (reading word by word with her the word book, giving her spelling and translate each character into english meaning and pin yin.

We did two types of work book (1000 questions Hua Wen & Qiang Hua Nian Xi) and I sent her to Berries World of Learning School (tuition).
I discussed with her teacher monthly on her progress and also how to help her especially her oral and composition. Her chinese teacher recommend to use oral and composition at Pri 2 level. She failed in her CA2 test and was able to pass with 68% for her SA2 (final exam).

I managed to convince her to do chinese for PSLE and wrote to MOE to withdraw the exemption. We restudied Pri 1 - 3 handbooks during holiday of Nov & Dec 2008. This year prelim (Pri 6 final exam) she scored above 80%. As the secondary level will not be easy for her, she needs to continue her good work by revising those words she does not know during this holiday.

I could not read and remember 50% of the chinese character but with the help of BESTA electronic dictionary ... I was able to translate and write the pin yin on each character on the comprehension passage to make study easier for her.

Don't give up on chinese, it is a important language. Jia yu!

** As for my son, he did higher chinese till Pri 5 and he did not do PSLE.
It was difficult for him to study chinese in Secondary level so we decided to withdrawal him. He is still learning chinese on his own like listening to chinese songs, drama, movies and also speaking to us. He still can read simple chinese passage and we try to converse with him using chinese at home.

paperone
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 am

kchia wrote:The cost of just Primary school is substantial...For 2011, it is $33/month (PR status) vs $256/month (Non ASEAN International Student) and for 2012, it is $51 vs $356. When all three are school age, it'll be $356 x 3 if the rates do not increase by then.

If we continue to live in Singapore such that the boys have to serve army, I guess it'll have to be that case. I'll just have to see it as them returning the benefits they have gained as PR citizens.

I also want the kids to learn Chinese...I struggled through it myself but I think if they are going to have to learn a second lang, it might as well be Mandarin.

so you intend your kids to remain as PR, NOT as citizens

as citizens, it is as cheap as has been

there is no category of "PR citizens". it is either PR or citizen; or foreigners
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support