Detailed school results for oral, LC & compo for EL / MT

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Detailed school results for oral, LC & compo for EL / MT

Postby Vanilla Cake » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for your time in reading and responding this thread.In less than 3 weeks' time, my journey in primary school will end. But my younger sister is still in P3 and 3 more years for her to move on.

What puzzles me till today is why my school does not release results for oral/LC/composition for both English and Chinese languages for CA1/CA2/SA1/SA2 and up to P6 Preliminary examinations? We are not told of the marks obtained in the oral/LC/Compo papers in our school. We only know the results obtained in the paper 2 of both languages. Our report book will show the final score inclusive of all the components of these language papers.

My Mum had questioned this frustrating puzzle but was told that most schools don't reveal the detailed results for languages. Is this true ? What are the practical reasons behind this hidden rule ? Will I face the same old problem when I start secondary school next year ?

Pls kindly share your experiences, views and thoughts in this issue.

Warmest regards.
:D

Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kiasuson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:49 pm

My son's school do review all oral/LC/composition for both English and Chinese languages. They started last year when he was in P5. Now, they also review the results for my son in P1.

I feel that this is important as it will help the child and parents to focus on his weak areas when he or she prepare for the exams.

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi
My girl's sch also release the results. But compo papers are not returned back. So I won't know how bad they were written. The papers would be useful for parents than the sch. I wonder what do they do with the papers.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lizawa » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:15 am

Our school also releases the results. Only compo is not returned. I've heard the reason being the teachers do not want the parents to come back and "argue" for marks in the compo. But, during the parents teacher meeting, we can always ask the teacher what went wrong in the compo, if the marks are not up to expectation. But again, cannot see the paper.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 am

I am just thinking if feedback could be provided by teachers on ares of improvement for compo etc without releasing the actual papers or detailed results.

On the other hand, if marks are granted objectively and followed MOE prescribed guidelines, I dont see why the school cannot be transparent. Why the need to hide behind a screen of obscurity to avoid argument? After all, there are also obvious benefits in the students knowing their weaknesses.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:23 am

Yes, we've the same problem too. Written expression are never returned so I don't know where her problem lies during the exam. So far, I've heard of the main paper as well as the listening comprehension and spelling test result. I bet it's only looking at the the total marks then can we guage the written expression score.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kiasuson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:57 am

My son's school return their compo papers for P6. It helps a lot in his preparation for PSLE. We are able to focus and improve the areas that he is weak when we revise for his subsequent exams and PSLE.

We can also observe the differences in marking by different teachers. This gives us some idea on the range of marks my son can get for his content and creativity. We have to accept the fact that different teachers has different expectations.

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksmama » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:42 am

Yes my kids' school is so secretive in revealing the combined oral compo and oral results for both languages. Comments like he writes quite well is baffling!?? I am like er yes and so???? What are the short comings?? I wonder how it is with other parents' experiences? My feeling is that not much emphasis is placed on composition. My kid is made to write about 5 in English the whole year but the actual marked papers come back late, as in near SA2, without grading but grammatical errors are corrected with few comments. I have given up on expecting the school to coach the kids in writing. I let my hubby go through his compos and actual coaching done at learning lab, supplemented by daddy's input.

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cchho » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:17 pm

my girl's school reveal all the result, what is there to be secret about, unless there is kelong , even papers also given back.

cchho
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ksmama » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:17 pm

There must have been past bad experiences on marks been challenged I suppose but it must have been some big time challenge to warrant this secrecy 8)

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support