Any tips to improve Mathematics?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Any tips to improve Mathematics?

Postby biniv300 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:27 am

does anyone have any tips in improving mathamatics??

biniv300
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Suz855 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Master time tables to 12, practise Fabian Ng PSP & play loads of puzzles .... learning must be fun

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Practice two problems sum daily until a period you assess he/she has no much problem in solving the question and the time spends in the question is getting shorter and shorter

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby biniv300 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:52 pm

is there any other ways?? like doing assessment books???or something else?? :?: :?:

biniv300
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Any tips to improve Mathematics?

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 pm

biniv300 wrote:does anyone have any tips in improving mathamatics??

Which level is your child? Is he/ she attending any enrichment?

My kids do Enopi maths and it's effective in their case. My P3 moved from average performer to top in her class this year.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Any tips to improve Mathematics?

Postby kitty2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:56 am

My kids do Enopi maths and it's effective in their case. My P3 moved from average performer to top in her class this year.[/quote]

Which branch is it?Why you said is good and how big is the class?I'm afraid if a kid is weak in Maths may not be able to cope with a big class.

Thanks for sharing

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby livewith_vanilla » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:11 pm

biniv300 wrote:is there any other ways?? like doing assessment books???or something else?? :?: :?:

Assessment books doesn't do much use if the child does not understand the basic concept, or if the child is forced and is unwilling to do the subject.

IMHO, learning should be fun and not forced. One has to garner interest in mathematics, to love mathematics and not treat mathematics as a hated subject before one will improve and excel.

What level is your child ?
If your child is in p5/p6, having goals(such as dream schools) might have a big impact on their thinking.

The popular way for improving maths is to practice and practice a set of questions.

My friends and I have a popular way of redoing one set of questions that we got wrong over and over again until we could memorise the workings and concepts.

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:43 pm

livewith_vanilla wrote:My friends and I have a popular way of redoing one set of questions that we got wrong over and over again until we could memorise the workings and concepts.

Hi Vanilla

Regarding memories the workings, I realize while working together with DD to solve some of the maths problem, even though I cannot understand the concept :? but I can memories the whole question and the steps of working. :lol:

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Leanne » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 pm

I agreed some questions have got standard steps but there are some challenging questions that needs to have processing skills.

I find memorising steps is quite a chore.doing with real understanding and enjoying doing math probably will find math a fun learning subject.that is just one cent of my thought.

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:10 pm

The most important thing is dd has to understand and enjoying doing maths. As for me, some of the concepts are quite difficult for me to understand.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support