Tuition Vs Enrichment classes

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

What type of outside school lessons will you put your child to?

Tuition
38%
Enrichment classes
63%

Total votes : 16

Tuition Vs Enrichment classes

Postby MMM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:09 pm

Was having a conversation with my hair stylist who has 3 kids in top schools.

The eldest is P5 and he is those who swears by learning point previously. But when I saw him yesterday, he told me that based on his experience, he felt that tuition is better than attending enrichment classes.

His observation arised from his P5 who is sitting for PSLE next year. Though she has done well from P1 - P3, he felt that when she reaches P4, she start to slag till the extent that he felt she is now avg or below avg. Nevertheless he stuck to enrichment which thinking back, he felt that he should have gotten them a good tuition teacher iso sending them for enrichment classes. He is now looking for a good tutor but it seems to cost a bomb $90 for 1 lesson!

Not sure for those parents who have gone through this, what are your views/ experience on that?

Personally, I had tuition during my pri school and hated it. So I told myself that I will not let the kids have a tutor. While I dun mind sending them to good enrichment schools.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Tuition Vs Enrichment classes

Postby jedamum » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:13 pm

MMM wrote:Personally, I had tuition during my pri school and hated it. So I told myself that I will not let the kids have a tutor. While I dun mind sending them to good enrichment schools.

Although we fare pretty average for our results, my husband and I never had any form of tuition during our schooling years, so if possible, we would like to keep it that way for our kids. But then again, we are not sure what is the education landscape now. Probably take one step at the time and see how the kid response to enrichment (which is more fun) first.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:31 pm

I had Maths tuition from P2 to secondary level.
I find that having tuition helped in my studies. Mine was those only once a week type of tuition to clarify any doubts I encountered during self-studies.

Although my preference is enrichment at this point of time, I am not resisting the idea of engaging a tutor for my girl if that subject is beyond my comprehension

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngchris » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:54 pm

My take is IT DEPENDS.

If help is needed in subject matter/coursework - go for TUITION
If help is needed in motivation/doing beyond subject work - go for ENRICHMENT

ngchris
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby EN » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:58 pm

As to whether how well our kids does, it really depends on their motivation. So, I go for enrichment for motivation & building the love of learning a subject.

I've had tuition for math in primary school as well as secondary school. For primary school, my mother hired an ex-teacher to teach when I was in P3 & for secondary school, it was one of those tuition centre (there are about 10 students). My attitude towards math in primary school was extremely bad. At P2, bad experience with my school math teacher who beat, pulled my hair, pinch & slap which resulted in me hating the subject (not that I failed my math & not even a borderline case). Attitude improved in secondary school & even though my tuition teacher was just a polytechnic student, my marks improve drastically because the fear of math was gone.

Never had enrichment program before but my kids are attending them currently. My daughter has motivation issue which is the reason why I sent her in the first place. Lots of improvement in her attitude towards learning & her result has improved a bit (can't expect miracle, it's only 4 months of enrichment).

But for math, enrichment might not be suitable for kids that do not have sufficient foundation. Daily work plays an important part which mean not tuiton teacher but parents must do the part of teaching.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:43 pm

And i thought that tuition was unheard of in the past, i am surprised to learn that some parents indeed did go for tuition and they are not even borderline case. :shock:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:06 am

jedamum wrote
And i thought that tuition was unheard of in the past, i am surprised to learn that some parents indeed did go for tuition and they are not even borderline case.

Now that you mentioned, I did not realize that my mum is kiasu too. :lol:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support