Advice on Tuition Centres and Thanks

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Advice on Tuition Centres and Thanks

Postby yongyong » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:03 am

My child wll be P5 next year.

She is weak in
1)English (comprehension and compositon).

2)Mathematics (section C - problem sums).

3)Science (how should she study science?)

Any advice and recommendations of any tutition centres?
Should she opt for tutition centre, 1 to 1, or very qualified tutor to teach?

She never had a tutor before and only child.

Probably she likes and good in arts and drawing.

Your experience and advice to share are greatly appreciated.
The forum posted by some parents are really informative and good.

Thanks a million for your great help.

yongyong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lizawa » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi,

I suggest that you look at the the reasons for her not to do well for Section C for Maths. Does she have problem with the fundamentals, which particular topic(s), the model drawing, understanding the question or time management ? Then, you can focus on how to help her.

For Maths, I belong to the camp that will go for practice and practice to familiarize with the various types of questions.

For Science, it's important to be able to know how to link the topics together. Make use of some of the thematic maps and notes you find in some of the guide books. I think the current thematic approach is very good. Scientific keywords and phrases must be used in section B to avoid being penalize. Also, need to read more than what the textbooks cover. This is also lacking in my daughter.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:17 pm

Someone wrote that why are exams questions not covered in textbooks.

If you solely depend on textbooks, you would bound to fail as there are tremendous info outside textbooks. So I never depend on textbooks to teach my girl. Textbooks just let us know the skeleton of topics.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:47 pm

caroline3sg wrote:Someone wrote that why are exams questions not covered in textbooks.

If you solely depend on textbooks, you would bound to fail as there are tremendous info outside textbooks. So I never depend on textbooks to teach my girl. Textbooks just let us know the skeleton of topics.

Yes... I have yet to see my son actually read his Science text book (or any other text books, for the matter). I rely on worksheets to get a feel of his class' syllabus. And for Science, thank God for Wikipedia and the Internet.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

P5 Exam Format

Postby Mrs Chan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:16 pm

I just read this as I am new. Guess your child is in P5 this yr. If his/her results are not ideal, you have to quickly do something. else he/she will be demoralised. P5 is a foundation for Psle. this is extremely impt.

the difference between P4 and P5 exam format is huge!
P4 Eng Compre OE: 5 to 7 qn = 10-14 marks
P5 Eng Compre OE: 10 qn = 20marks

P4 Eng Synthesis: 0 - 3 qn = 0-6 marks
P5 Eng Synthesis: 5qn = 10marks

P4 Eng Compre Cloze (Cloze Passage without helping words): 0 - 5qn = 0-5marks
P5 Eng Compre Cloze (Cloze Passage without helping words): 15qn = 15 marks

P4 Math Prob Sums: 5 - 7qn = 20-35marks
P5 Math Prob Sums: 13 qn = 55 marks

There is a big jump. Normally, students dont do well in P5 CA1. Gotta do something for them before they think its difficult to excel and score in PSLE!

Mrs Chan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Advice on Tuition Centres and Thanks

Postby san76 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:36 pm

yongyong wrote:My child wll be P5 next year.

She is weak in

Dearest Yong Yong,

Dont panic. Tution is a must if you do not have the time to guide her personally.

1st thing you must know: Is her P1-P3 result always on the boarder?
You mentioned Compo, compre, problem sum, all these are the language problem. You didnt mention any thing about her Chinese. I presume she is doing well in her chinese.

If it is English, read more and engage a tution teacher, ex teacher from any pri sch is the best. Dont ever engage part timers or students. Ex teachers are more professional. They know what and how to tackle the problem she is facing. Normal tutor will give homework from assessments and worst, they often cant turn up as they have their own project or sch study.

This is the time where you should look into her problem. Though the fee will be higher but it does help. Result will show after 3 months.

My son is very weak in his Chinese. Now he can read the hanzi without any hanyupinyin. Thanks to the tutor, he was a teacher from 1 of the top ten sch. They know what to teach and what is best for your kid.

All the best to you

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Advice on Tuition Centres and Thanks

Postby vedicmaths » Wed May 06, 2009 4:56 pm

As your child is in P5 already and as you said she is weak in maths i have the following information for you

Vedic Maths Singapore Pte Ltd is an organization which is approved by PA and we teach student the fastest technique to do calculation mentally and accurately.

Your child can solve problems like 9999x9998, or 22x28 or finding squares and cubes in less than a minute.

Our courses are designed for students from Primary 3 to Primary 6 in which we also teach them to apply the techniques in MOE syllabus.

If you really want to see a successful person, call Priya - 82073835 or drop in an email at priya@vedicmaths.com.

yongyong wrote:My child wll be P5 next year.

She is weak in

Any advice and recommendations of any tutition centres?
Should she opt for tutition centre, 1 to 1, or very qualified tutor to teach?

She never had a tutor before and only child.

Probably she likes and good in arts and drawing.

Your experience and advice to share are greatly appreciated.
The forum posted by some parents are really informative and good.

Thanks a million for your great help.

vedicmaths
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support