Year end result vs class position

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Year end result vs class position

Postby applepie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Anyone knows how the schools evaluate the end of year position in class based on the whole year's academic performance?

My son informed me that out of his class of 30 students, there is one first position, 2 got 2nd positions and then 3 got 3rd positions? :roll:

So, does that mean all 6 pupils will be up on stage to collect their award? :P

Being a first-time parent with a primary school kid, I am quite excited to see how the report book looks like...not sure whether they will reflect the overall level mean scores, median scores, bell curve etc...i have lost touch... :o

applepie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sally » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi

What u think is corect all 6 will receive award. But if I'm not wrong if u have 2 - 2nd position then there will be NO 3rd position. Correct me if I'm wrong, that what happen in my boy school. This year he & his friend both 3rd position, the girl after them is 5th in position.

sally

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby babysz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:05 pm

sally wrote:Hi

What u think is corect all 6 will receive award. But if I'm not wrong if u have 2 - 2nd position then there will be NO 3rd position. Correct me if I'm wrong, that what happen in my boy school. This year he & his friend both 3rd position, the girl after them is 5th in position.

sally

This happens in my ds's class too. :D

babysz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby csc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:02 pm

My son informed me that out of his class of 30 students, there is one first position, 2 got 2nd positions and then 3 got 3rd positions?

So, does that mean all 6 pupils will be up on stage to collect their award?

I think only 3 pupils will get the prize if prizes are only given to top 3 positions. Since there are two 2nd positions, there will be no 3rd position. 3 students will be in the 4th position - no prize for them then.

Being a first-time parent with a primary school kid, I am quite excited to see how the report book looks like...not sure whether they will reflect the overall level mean scores, median scores, bell curve etc...i have lost touch... :o
I don't know about other schools but my children's school attached a progress report reflecting the mean mark, max mark, min mark and std deviation for both the class and level.

I find it extremely helpful in calculating the average T- score of my children and to know how they fare in comparision with their peers in the same level. Really appreciate what the school is doing - not branded but excellent service... :D

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support