Any tips to improve Science?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Postby Vanilla Cake » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Just like this thread, pls share your feedback and comments on tips to improve Science.

Just to start the ball rolling,I came across 2 interesting Primary Science assessment books (recently released in 2010) at Popular book store, today. Looks quite good imho and pls advise if you have bought them and your comments.

Teachers @work - Published by Singapore Asian Publication
Conquer Science for Primary levels 5/6
contains more than 650 questions
100 exercises with themes - Cycles/System/Energy and Interactions
257 pages
Cost: $12.95 before discount
Author: CY Sitoe

Think there should be another similar book for P3/4 coming soon.

Published by Singapore Asian Publication - SAP
Just before the exam PSLE Science
We spot the questions for you to ace important Exams!
Also recommended for GEP and high ability students
Consists of 6 examination sets
Author: Jason Lim - M. Sc
Price: $13.95 before discount

Thks.
VC's mum.

Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Any tips to improve Science?

Postby von72 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:31 pm

hihi....thanks for the wonderfule recommendation. Am looking for a good assessment book for my boy!! U are great!!! :lol:

von72
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 am

Vanilla Cake wrote:Just like this thread, pls share your feedback and comments on tips to improve Science.

Just to start the ball rolling,I came across 2 interesting Primary Science assessment books (recently released in 2010) at Popular book store, today. Looks quite good imho and pls advise if you have bought them and your comments.

Teachers @work - Published by Singapore Asian Publication
Conquer Science for Primary levels 5/6
100 exercises with themes - Cycles/System/Energy and Interactions
257 pages
Cost: $12.95 before discount
Author: CY Sitoe

Think there should be another similar book for P3/4 coming soon.

Thks.
VC's mum.

Teachers @work for P3/P4 is already there, bought it early this yr.

The exposure to a wider variety of experiments/applications is a plus for this book. Just my opinion, some of their answers are long winded and some unlike what is suggested by School PSLE teachers. Correcting DD work was a pain.

Will check out this book - "Just before the exam PSLE Science". Thanks.
but was wondering it is perhaps too late to buy another book now , Psle is just a month away... :(

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MdmKS » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:30 am

Vanilla Cake wrote:.

Thks.
VC's mum.

Thanks VC's mum for sharing.

Wonder if the GEP qns are relevant for mainstream PSLE? Else which are for GEP and whch are for PSLE relevant, they did not label them. Is Jason Lim a NIE trained teacher in the past?
Thanks.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Vanilla Cake » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:51 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:Teachers @work for P3/P4 is already there, bought it early this yr.

The exposure to a wider variety of experiments/applications is a plus for this book. Just my opinion, some of their answers are long winded and some unlike what is suggested by School PSLE teachers. Correcting DD work was a pain.

Will check out this book - "Just before the exam PSLE Science". Thanks.
but was wondering it is perhaps too late to buy another book now , Psle is just a month away... :(

Thks for your info. Found the P3/P4 series:

Conquer Science for Primary Levels
A total of 100 worksheets that covers multiple-choice and open-ended questions.
A complete coverage in the Themes for the level:
Diversity, systems, cycles, energy, interactions.
Author: Vicki Wong
Cost: $ 12.95 before discount
257 pages

There was even one more series:
A complete introductory course to Primary level Science 1/2
Author: SP Ho
Cost: $ 8.95 before discount
112 pages

Disappointed that both P3/P4 and P5/P6 series do not have explanations for their MCQs. Anyway, PSLE Science is 38 days ( 1 month plus) from today, still have time to check the other mentioned book.

MdmKS wrote:Wonder if the GEP qns are relevant for mainstream PSLE? Else which are for GEP and whch are for PSLE relevant, they did not label them. Is Jason Lim a NIE trained teacher in the past?
Thanks.

I am not sure as I have not purchased it yet. The title of the book sounds enticing and there are also explanations for the MCQs.There is a write-up of Jason Lim in the book that mentioned that he has over 10 years of teaching experience etc.Since DD2 is just P5, I may buy it next year (2011).

Thanks.
VC's mum

Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Leanne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:01 am

May I check anyone has good assessment sci book to recommend mainly for mcq itself?thanks

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jslow » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 am

No doubt there are a lot of assessment books out there but most importantly is the answering techniques. The explanations given by some books are just not enough/ incorrect.

From what i gather, must answer to the question specifically and give the concept too.

jslow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Joy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:31 am

Hi,

Anyone knows of good material and questions for circulatory system?

DD is not very good with the veins , arteries and the oxgenated blood etc concept.

That is basically blood flow in and out of the heart.How to crystalise this concept?thanks

rgds
Joy

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby learningstore » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:25 am

Joy wrote:Hi,

Anyone knows of good material and questions for circulatory system?

DD is not very good with the veins , arteries and the oxgenated blood etc concept.

That is basically blood flow in and out of the heart.How to crystalise this concept?thanks

rgds
Joy

I am not sure whether by showing him a model of the heart and explaining to him the concept will help?

like the one below?

you can get one of this from The Learning Store

learningstore
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby WS1234567 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:34 am

There are 3 aspects I concentrate on when I teach science. It has so far guaranteed results becuase I've trained kids to become 1st in school in science, even though some of them are not locals.

Firstly,
The facts muct be right. Without the right content knowledge, things can go very wrong. For example, if the student does not know that stell is a magnetic material and magnetism cannot oass through it, then he will answer the question wrongly.

Secondly,
the process skills must be there. The questions asked at PSLE are targeted at process skills. If a student does know how to design an experiment to meet the aim of the experiment, of course he will get the question that checks this skill wrong.

Lastly,
the answering skills. Very often, students make a wrong choice of words or did not answer fully. Words like 'prevent' may be too absosolute to be used in some situations and another word could be more suitable to bring out the right meaning.

WS1234567
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support