Formative Assessment

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Formative Assessment

Postby TwaTau » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 am

Any idea what is this formative assessment all about? My P2 DD is still in the old system of CA1/SA1/CA2/SA2. She came back with her CA2 test paper and there were these 2 additional test papers titled "Formative Assessment". Both were comprehension and the second one was especially difficult for a P2 child. We were not informed about such a scheme :x , or maybe we were not listening during the parent briefing. :snooze:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TwaTau » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Did some googling on this topic and here is a link to Wiki that explain this somehow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formative_assessment

Extracted the most relevant part on my DD case:

"In primary schools is used to inform the next steps of learning. Teacher and students both use Formative Assessments as a tool to make decisions based on data. Formative assessment occurs when teachers feed information back to students in ways that enable the student to learn better, or when students can engage in a similar, self- reflective process. "

But I still don't understand anyway, :P :?
Last edited by TwaTau on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm not sure if the tests are the 'pre-tests' that we normally do to check how much a child knows.
In my school, we simply call it 'pre-test'. It's to test for existing knowledge and skills/abilities. From this test, we will decide how much time we will allocate on a certain topic and their related skills. Or whether a child/class needs extra help in certain areas.

E.g.
Class A has very good results for Compre pre-test but poor results for Compo pre-test. As such, we will spend more time on Compo for Class A.

Class B has very good results for Compre pre-test and Compo pretest but poor results in Synthesis & Transformation pre-test. In this case, Class B will have more worksheets/lessons dedicated to S&T.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I think it sound about right from what you have described. Hopefully when it comes to implementation, I hope the schools don't loss the essence of the real idea. Or else, it will ends up as another test for the kids.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support