What is the atmosphere at home during exam period?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

What is the atmosphere at home during exam period?

Postby mummyjoyce » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:01 am

Since the last 2 weeks, my home is so quiet... less TV noises, less outings, less eating out etc etc - DD is taking her PSLE in less than a month!
My DH and I and my older DD can only give her support. We spent loads of quiet time reading books, newspaper instead and also cook or buy whatever my younger DD like to eat.
Cant wait for this period to be over.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:36 am

Talk about it !!

I think I am waiting for PSLE to get over more than DD. After the prelims, we have had a free and easy week these hols . Mainly we are avoiding adventure stuff- like No Megazip when we stayed at Sentosa, though I relented for the Luge ride.

A less TV for DD, but the rest of the family watches more or less the same . No more board games and whiling away time , But other than that more or less things are normal. We do go for family walks often to refresh.

The anxiety is about what should she be doing these three weeks? Is there something she should do but forgot about ? Something we are over doing , leading to burn out? will any thing go wrong? Oscillating between a doomsday scenario and wth, its just an exam.

Yes I wish there were things i could do for her, but realise its her call and she does it and we support whenever she needs.

And yes I am :xedfingers:

Wishing all the P6ers Good Luck ! :pray:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Good luck to all taking PSLE this year.

Last year I also avoided any physical activity that might cause injury ( I super kiasi) for my elder boy.

The sch teachers loaded the pupils with exams papers, so I only made sure he slept n ate well.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby octopusmum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:58 pm

same here, no more going out, even if we do go out, it is usually for our meals , then rush home quickly...
for the past wkend, have been getting ds to do the 2010 prelim papers. about 3 per day (from friday to sat). have some rest on sunday and this weekend, it is going to be "papers doing days" as well....
worried that he will suffer a burnt out, dh brought him to the reservoir for a morning run...will try to squeeze in time for such activities...
he still gets to have a 2 hr nap in the afternoon in between papers and we try to finish everything by 7pm so that he can watch movies and catch the news...

not sure if he has too much free time or too hectic a study schedule :(

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby westmom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Jennifer wrote:Last year I also avoided any physical activity that might cause injury ( I super kiasi) for my elder boy.

Last year, not only I avoided injury prone activities, I was super kiasu in the hygiene department....incl not allowing gal to buy food from canteen near to exam (in case of stomach virus), scolding family members for sharing food, avoiding mass public places etc..

Good Luck to all PSLE students and their parents!

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Augmum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:24 pm

westmom wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Last year I also avoided any physical activity that might cause injury ( I super kiasi) for my elder boy.

Last year, not only I avoided injury prone activities, I was super kiasu in the hygiene department....incl not allowing gal to buy food from canteen near to exam (in case of stomach virus), scolding family members for sharing food, avoiding mass public places etc..

last year, i did the same, avoid hawker/canteen food when approaching the PSLE period
and also avoid crowded areas and injury prone activities (can't imagine what if the right arm/hand is injured ) :wink:

fully understand the stress of parents and pupils during this critical period

GOOD LUCK TO ALL PSLE PUPILS

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby underthesea » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 am

DS started to have tons of homework, he used to be very free before the Sept holiday. I am worry for his EL, he got a B for EL for prelim.

underthesea
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby westmom » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Augmum wrote:
westmom wrote:

last year, i did the same, avoid hawker/canteen food when approaching the PSLE period
and also avoid crowded areas and injury prone activities (can't imagine what if the right arm/hand is injured ) :wink:

fully understand the stress of parents and pupils during this critical period

GOOD LUCK TO ALL PSLE PUPILS

Haha...good to know there's another superkiasu mom like me. I also didn't allow kisses to be planted on my gal nearer that time!

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby westmom » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm

underthesea wrote:DS started to have tons of homework, he used to be very free before the Sept holiday. I am worry for his EL, he got a B for EL for prelim.

Not to worry...my gal got a low B during prelim last yr but ended with an A come the actual exam...relax...give him lots of love and understanding and just accept his limitations if he has any...

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meiah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Haiz, my ds still playing a fool. Serious when doing work lah but still happy surfing net, eating tidbits and watching TV! Ask him do extra work, he say school overload!! :x

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support