I need help

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

I need help

Postby poor mum » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:10 pm

My son P5A gonna transfer to P6 foundation class. :(

I m shock and disappointed with him. I worried scared and theres butterflies in my stomach. I cnt figure it out how would it be that bad. Tutor even enrichment classes make him get worse results.

Just wanna know if he would be able to sits for his PSLE exams? if he did very well in his PSLE? would he be able to go acedamic or still be at tech sch?

Pls help!!!! What should i do. I dont want him to be left out by his cousin and families who did very well in school every year.

poor mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: I need help

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:22 pm

poor mum wrote:My son P5A gonna transfer to P6 foundation class. :(

I m shock and disappointed with him. I worried scared and theres butterflies in my stomach. I cnt figure it out how would it be that bad. Tutor even enrichment classes make him get worse results.

Just wanna know if he would be able to sits for his PSLE exams? if he did very well in his PSLE? would he be able to go acedamic or still be at tech sch?

Pls help!!!! What should i do. I dont want him to be left out by his cousin and families who did very well in school every year.

I think we all can understand the frustration and worry you are going through. You should, however, try to find out the root of the problem before you attempt any solution.

1. Has he been always doing badly in his subjects in lower Primary?
2. What are the specific subjects that he do well in, and which are the ones he need help with?
3. Is he emotionally distracted with something that is happening in his life that you might be aware of?
4. Does he do well with his schoolwork, demonstrating understanding of the concepts?
5. Does he sleep well, or does he exhibit any symptoms of stress during exams?

Sometimes, when children see their parents worrying or feeling disappointed with them, they may just give up and conclude that they are indeed "stupid" or "hopeless". Perhaps you could encourage him by focusing on the fixing the problem rather than telling him what will happen to him if he does not keep up with his classmates/relatives who do well every year.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: I need help

Postby angela » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:57 pm

poor mum wrote:My son P5A gonna transfer to P6 foundation class. :(

Yes, your child will be taking PSLE exams next year. If his result is good, he can go to Normal(academic) instead of Normal(technical).

angela
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Luanee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi sorry to intrude, but what is P6 foundation class?

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Luanee, hope the following website will enlighten you.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/primary ... ed-banding

Poor mum,

Not to worry. Your child will still sit for the PSLE but he must not obtain a "U" grade for his Foundation English and Foundation Math. Any scores below 20 % will get a "U" grading. A child will need to repeat his Primary 6 if he gets a "U" grade for either subject. He will get only 2 more attempts to repeat his PSLE. If he fails at the 3rd try, he will be channelled to one of the ITEs.

However, if he does very well in both the subjects, he will get the chance to be channelled into the Normal Academic Stream ( 5 years with "O" level exams in the 5th year). Otherwise, most of these pupils will be streamed to the Normal Technical stream.

Poor mum, don't get discouraged . You have to stay positive for your child's sake. You need to believe in your child. Not all children are academically inclined but they need to believe in themselves and have a high esteem . You need to show your support and love for him despite his weaknesses.

One good example is my neighbour's son who was also channelled into the foundation stream when he was in primary 6. He is weak academically but has an amazing ability to construct complicated lego sets on his own. He is good with his hands, makes friends easily and one of the happiest children I have ever seen. The parents have one other daughter who has been to top schools and now in NUS. But they have never compared the two. They accept and love him for who he is and of course try to provide as much encouragement and support in the academic area.

I'm sure your child has some other strengths. Maybe he is good at drawing, swimming and he is a kind and caring person. Reinforce his strengths and help him experience success in both the academic and non-academic areas step by step.

Here's wishing all the best for you and your child!

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:45 pm

csc
What does "U" stands for?
Those in foundation class take foundation subjects at PSLE? Or normal PSLE?
If take foundation subjects at PSLE, that means they straight away go for 5 yr sec course?

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

P6 foundation

Postby poor mum » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice and spirits.. I almost gave up on him, especially when i knew that he will be transfer from normal strems to foundation EM3. I find it hard to believe coz all our family member challange each other acedamically. :(

Towards the year i work hard for the money and time just for him. I even quit my job just to motivate him and encorage him in many ways. I find it really hard to believe, till today i just cnt see his report books. alot of my friends kid, same age as him challenge to go RI but my son just keep me silent.

Imagine HPPS is one of the goods sch, end up getting worse result for the school. I cnt imagine how embarrasing it could be.

But any way thank for all your support and advise. Hope this advise will help me instade of him.

poor mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: P6 foundation

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:53 pm

poor mum wrote:... I almost gave up on him, especially when i knew that he will be transfer from normal strems to foundation EM3
... I find it hard to believe coz all our family member challange each other acedamically
... alot of my friends kid, same age as him challenge to go RI but my son just keep me silent.
... Imagine HPPS is one of the goods sch, end up getting worse result for the school. I cnt imagine how embarrasing it could be...

poor mum, I'm detecting a pattern here. I suspect your son may be stressed out by your expectations of him, or rather, he may be thinking that he is supposed to do well so as not to embarrass you, rather than for the love of the learning process itself.

I don't mean to be blunt - it is quite common for Singaporean parents to make our children feel that they are an embarrassment to us. We do it by comparing their performance with other children, often finishing our speech with "so why can't you be more like so-and-so?!" We tend to put them down more than we praise them. Perhaps it is in our Oriental culture, but there is nothing more damaging to a child than to have his closest family feel disappointed in them.

All children want to make their parents proud. They feel bad enough themselves if they don't make the grade. To have their parents tell them how disappointed they are makes them feel more like failures... and they just give up and accept that they are failures. They look forward to the next stage of their lives, instead of trying to fight to correct their current situation.

It is important to acknowledge ANY effort made by our children to improve themselves. Even if they come back with 30 marks, we have to smile and tell them calmly that at least they have got the 30 marks and how excited we will be if they are able to get another 10 marks next time. And when they do, we'll ask them to set their next target which is to pass the exam. Step by step. Bite-sized improvement goals. By doing so, our children will be encouraged to try for something that is seemingly within their means, knowing that they have the full support of their parents who are there to help as friends rather than critics.

We have to learn to accept our children as they are. The funny thing is - it works both ways; there will come a day when our children will look at us and see us as weak, ordinary folks instead of the superhumans who were always right. They will then spend the next 20 years of their lives trying to accept US as we are.

Let us teach them that it is ok for people to fail, as long as we have put in our greatest effort to be the best we can be, and we learn from each failure and success we get.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

P6 foundation

Postby poor mum » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Dnt get me wrong mummy out there, I would never compare my kids with others. I just want him to do the best for himself for his future. I dnt aspect him to get into RI, just average result will do good. But 128/400 is bad. imagine if you guy's in my shoe. what would you do. SMILE!!! BEST WISHES!!! or pray HARD!!!! neither of it right.

My question is, would there be any clue or ideas that can be share with me. Where and who can coach and guide my lovely son education, motivate and encorage him to improve for PSLE? He's good and helpfull person nice and polite too. But the weakers key point is NO INTEREST IN STUDYING. How can i make him love studying?

advise? encorage? persuade? everything.. everthing even special gifts me and hubby had tried nothing helps.,

poor mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby csc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:34 am

caroline3sg wrote:csc
What does "U" stands for?
Those in foundation class take foundation subjects at PSLE? Or normal PSLE?
If take foundation subjects at PSLE, that means they straight away go for 5 yr sec course?

Hi caroline3sg,

"U" stands for ungraded which means the pupil has not met the requirement for the minimum grade.

For more information, please refer to following websites.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/subje ... nglish.pdf

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/files/e ... nglish.pdf

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support