No P1 exams, but will kids still be swamped?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

No P1 exams, but will kids still be swamped?

Postby Daddy D » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Saw this interesting article...
http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/featu ... mped_.html

About parents putting in extra effort to put their kids through tuition/enrichments to prepare them for future exams....

I think most parents are doing this... KSP parents esp! :)

Sometimes I think these enrichment/tuition schs are the main courses... while our MOE schs are just the supplementary...

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 pm

to rephrase, if I may, you are saying the tuition centres / enrichment contres are the real culprits and the MOE schools are the accomplice ? liddat, both are guilty lor .......... :evil:
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: No P1 exams, but will kids still be swamped?

Postby Jennifer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Daddy D wrote:Sometimes I think these enrichment/tuition schs are the main courses... while our MOE schs are just the supplementary...

Can be true in my P3 boy's case. Sch teachers not teaching well, we need to supplement.

My elder boy had better luck, no need to supplement on our own, except to incr exposure in Chinese.

I come from the old sch of thought "Tuition is for weak pupils". Really depends on MOE sch teachers how well they want to do their job.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Tuition

Postby janet88 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:39 pm

My son has Chinese tuition since K2...he is going to SAP school and we don't speak Mandarin at home, we needed someone to coach him and build up his foundation.

For some elite schools which do not teach much, these enrichment centres are REAL schools for the students.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowman.697 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Yep, my chinese is not the best and i hope to get into rv. Fortunately i have a mainland chinese chinese teacher. My previous teacher only explained the meanings in eng,
ie. 偷东西 = Steal. But we cant right 'steal' in the exam, so it's rather inappropriate.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support