Primary School Book List - optional items - advice please

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Primary School Book List - optional items - advice please

Postby usaik » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:45 pm

As my child will be in P2 next year, this is the second year I am going through a school book list and buying items on the list.

Last year, the optional items I bought seems to have been left in the cupboard for 1 whole year (practically untouched).

The optional items on the book list for next year I found include references like dictionary, readers. And they are not exactly cheap when added up. I am wondering should I just forget about buying any of the optional items and save on the $$$.... Or should I buy them and find out how should I better utilize them? Any advice?

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Luanee » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 pm

U mean optional items at P2 not the same as all those in P1?

My girl only going to P1 next year so I do not have the actual experience. But I reckoned since they are 'optional' I do not need to buy them. Just get them if the teachers ask for it later.

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Primary School Book List - optional items - advice pleas

Postby sally » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:54 pm

I normally don't buy the extra stuffs that is in the book list.

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby csc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Me too. Only bought them in primary one because I was blur then and there is no kiasuparents.com to warn me ahead. :mrgreen:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:22 pm

csc wrote:Me too. Only bought them in primary one because I was blur then and there is no kiasuparents.com to warn me ahead. :mrgreen:

But by definition, won't kiasu parents will always buy all optional stuff because they are kiasu 8) ?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:05 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
csc wrote:Me too. Only bought them in primary one because I was blur then and there is no kiasuparents.com to warn me ahead. :mrgreen:

But by definition, won't kiasu parents will always buy all optional stuff because they are kiasu 8) ?

that is kiasi parents already....not kiasu. :P
anyway, i bought those optional stuff like picture dictionary books and chinese words flashcards (if i already have not have them yet) as i am likely to use them to supplement the school's teaching.
optional stuff like watercolour, magic pens, although doesn't cost much, i am leaving them out as they add to the clutter.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby -porky- » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:36 pm

I felt like being conned to buy items that were totally unnecessary that were stated as *compulsory items* in the booklist given by the school.

When my first kid enter primary school, there was this set of Chinese word flash cards listed under the compulsory item section of the booklist. And if I remembered correctly, there's also a set of plastic sleeves (little plastic folder to protect each individual flash cards) also under compulsory items.

I can imagine some not so well to do family, struggling pay for these unnecessary stuffs. Those who can't read will ask the shop keeper what to buy, and they will tell u it's compulsory to buy almost everything on the list. When I told the shop keeper I don't want those items, the sales boy sulkily recalculated the total cost of the books then told his colleague 'aiyah so troublesome got to put back'.

This year my 2nd Son in P4 is required to purchase a literature pack consist of the story book: Charlie and the chocolate factory, plus one workbook. Since I already have 2 copy of that book at home, I asked the shop tender if I could just purchase the workbook alone. The book is not like an edited version made into a textbook but the exact same Charlie Chocolate factory story book that I got at home. The shop tender at the school bookshop(Pacific bookstores) insist that they only sell it as a set. Ask her to help me ask head office she say she just shop tender. Dunno anything.

No choice but to buy coz they don't sell these workbooks in any other bookshops.

Feel so helpless. :shrug: Can complain MOE?

-porky-
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ammonite » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 pm

-porky- wrote:This year my 2nd Son in P4 is required to purchase a literature pack consist of the story book: Charlie and the chocolate factory, plus one workbook. Since I already have 2 copy of that book at home, I asked the shop tender if I could just purchase the workbook alone. The book is not like an edited version made into a textbook but the exact same Charlie Chocolate factory story book that I got at home. The shop tender at the school bookshop(Pacific bookstores) insist that they only sell it as a set. Ask her to help me ask head office she say she just shop tender. Dunno anything.

No choice but to buy coz they don't sell these workbooks in any other bookshops.

Feel so helpless. :shrug: Can complain MOE?

I think you can reflect it to the teacher/school management. You can also email pacific bookshop or the publisher to see if they supply the workbook on its own.

As for not buying everything (including on the compulsory list), it is common practice especially when you have an older child or relative passing stuff down. I don't even buy some of the files if the current files are still in good condition.

For optional materials, buy only what you will use.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oh My Gosh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 pm

For my DC (elder), I will buy everything on the booklist, other than optional items. For my DC (younger), I will also buy everything on the booklist, other than optional items. Only difference is I will then go through the books against the elder's books and see if there is any books with same edition and which I can reuse (for example: Charlie and Chocolate Factory story book). I will then bring these back to the School Bookshop and refund (with receipt). So far, the bookshop has been very nice to refund parents with receipts, no questions asked as long as the books are still new.

Oh My Gosh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support