Exam fever

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Exam fever

Postby mum03 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 am

My DD who is in pri 1, who has never fallen sick for the last 2 yrs, was suddenly having fever last week on her Health Education Quiz test day. She did not go to sch, and her teacher assured us that her marks will be pro rated. I thought it was a one off thing.
She has her listening comprehension (english/MT) today, suddenly last night she has a temperature. I nearly freak out. I have not pushed her in her studies. But during her mock test she always score abv 90Marks. She told me that she is nervous, as this exam will be recorded. I assure her that as long as she did her best I am happy, and not to give herself alot of stress.
I am really worried for her, is she giving herself alot of stress. She is only in Pri 1 and she have a long way to go acadamically.
Can any parents adv wheather they have any similar situations and how they deal with it. :?:
is this what they call "EXAM FEVER"

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:39 am

She's never had any exams which are recorded before?
Just tell her that it's not the marks you are focused on but the fact that she studied and put in effort for the paper.

She needs alot of assurance and encouragement from everyone around her.
Also, if the fever is not high and she does not show signs of drowsiness, you could arrange with the school for her to take the test/exam in another location. At least she sits for it.

I normally encourage students to only miss papers if they are so sick that they can't get out of bed.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mum03 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 am

She never had any exams, which were recorded officially, they do have class test, but they are not recorded.
I have assured her that her health is more important then, studying. If she is healthy, then only she could do well.
Her fever is gone this morning and have send her to school. Worried now that she will have a written papers at the end of this month, and that she does not fell ill.
I just hope that she does not give herself unnecessary stress. I am taking it easy, but she??????????

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support