Study Time

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Study Time

Postby chixchix » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:25 pm

My boy just entered K2 and some days he is on full day where he comes back at 6 pm...he spends time watching tv..

On some days ,I get him home at 1 pm...and he spends time watching Okto again. Well.. he studies less than 15 mins for the whole day. I am very worried about this and often nag at him, to study.

At this stage, how much time do your children spend time studying at home.. please share :)

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Study Time

Postby jedamum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:28 pm

you mean K2 next year?
as your boy doesn't have the habit of studying, you can start 'small'.
15min a day, then slowly increase.
key is to find a fixed timing and a schedule. eg, my boy knows which day is for doing what activities, so it is not a surprise to him. he knows that he has to do his stuff after breakfast and if he can't finish, to continue after dinner.
My K2 boy spend about 30min to 45min daily doing seatwork before he gets restless.

you can take a look at this thread on how to motivate the kid to study.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby chixchix » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:01 pm

previously he used to study, its only like few months ago,,I have to scream, show him feather duster , just to get him to sit for the 15 mins..

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:50 am

Parents of P1 Kiddos,
How much time do you intend to set aside (or your student care had set aside) for daily revision?
I decide to set aside 30-45min, cos although my boy is in the morning class, by the time he finished his lunch, it is already 3pm and his bedtime is 8pm.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 pm

jedamum wrote:Parents of P1 Kiddos,
How much time do you intend to set aside (or your student care had set aside) for daily revision?
I decide to set aside 30-45min, cos although my boy is in the morning class, by the time he finished his lunch, it is already 3pm and his bedtime is 8pm.

Hey jedamum, as I wrote here, as a rule of thumb, P1 students should spend more than 15 minutes per day on homework, and should have a homework time every day including the weekends. Just get your boy to go through with you what he studied for that day, and the homework assignments that he has to do. This 15 minutes, however, does not include the time he has to spend on self-learning and studying things like spelling and 听写.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby schellen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:51 am

My girl goes to after school care and doesn't get home till after 7pm. The teacher there will supervise them doing assessment books. Then they get to play outdoors after that.
Night time on weekdays always very rushed cos I check her homework file and get her to do if any. She also has piano lessons so she will do music theory homework as well as practise on keyboard.
I also have assessment books at home so I will supervise her and help her if time permits. If no time for Maths or English, it's okay cos she is stronger in those but for Chinese, I have to insist that she does it and I have to be there to help her or else she will give up easily.
This is of course excluding any revision for spelling and ting xie but since K2, we have a regular schedule for that based on actual day of spelling and ting xie so no problem.
Then, at 9+ p.m., we read to her or together with her books of her choice before she goes to bed. Usually by then, her energy is almost gone so we have no difficulty getting her to fall asleep quickly (as opposed to last year when she would still take up to 30 minutes or so to doze off).
When the tests and exams finally come, I will have to adjust the schedule to allow for adhoc revision. However, if she constantly does her work and understands it, these adhoc revision sessions shouldn't be a big problem.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Study Time

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:56 am

chixchix wrote:spends time watching Okto again.

I am very disturbed with this OKTO channel, too many shows round the clock, so unlike the old channel with limited slots for children shows. It was worse during the sch holidays, they positioned themselves as a channel the children should not leave home and then to become a couch potato.

Some programmes (like Backyard Science) are really good. So it might be better for you to screen what your child is currently watching and then compromise what he can watch.

JMHO

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hmsg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

i do not encourage them watching TV programmes. I limit them to at most 1 hour per day. And this are usually chinese shows... to expose them to the language.

The children will find time to occupy themselves, this will infact encourage them to read more...

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby winth » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:00 am

My boy just started K2 and I'm shocked to see him bring work home to do and need to hand them in the next day. When he was in K1, there was no such thing, just some assignment sheets for him to do throughout weekend. He had to wait for me to give him instructions on how to complete the school assignments, if not he'll just leave them blank. :x

Our daily routine:
Day time, boy does my homework that I gave him night before (usually 4-5 books with 2-3 pages), so that works out to be 30 mins. Sometimes, he can't finish them at one go, told me his brain very tired :shock:. So I allowed him to complete them after his nap time. If got time left, he gets to do some 'fun homework' of colouring/craft work/puzzle games, that accounts the rest of the 10 mins. He'll then play with toys or other board games for the rest of the day. No TV. Used to watch tv for about 0.5 - 1 hour, but had no TV since it was sold away to garang guni last month.

Night time, after I'm done with my work plus studying with toddler, I'll continue to drill him on his Eng for grammar/vocab/compo/compre or Chinese for his hanyu pinyin/compre/compo and Math for addition/subtract/multiplication (haven't start on division yet)/problem sums. Usually choose about 4-5 books to drill lor... That usually takes another 30 minutes of pure study work. After that, I will give him homework for him to complete on the next day.

At around 8pm, he gets computer playtime for either education cd-games/paint games/PC flashcards that I've created for them. Previously he used to watch selected CD movies that we bought for him. But I felt that with no TV, substituting him with PC-games is not too bad at all. He gets such play time for another 20-30 mins before he goes to bed.

If he's rude or had bad attitude, I'll punish him with no study or homework the next day. He's very upset yesterday that I didn't do any work with him. HEHE...

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Luckily we don't watch local channels and have no cable TV so DD watches DVDs and VCDs only. Since then, it's easier to negotiate TV time with her cos she knows she can always start wherever she stopped the last time.

Her bedtime storytime and any game or PC time is dependent on how fast she gets her usual "chores/work" done. We remind her constantly as she loves to dilly-dally. Sometimes, she gets so distracted by other things, she loses her TV/play/PC/story time and she gets upset. Then we will remind her that it was because she failed to manage her time properly, especially if Mommy can complete her endless list of chores and still finish up faster than DD. The next day or so, with the "pain" of losing leisure time still fresh in her mind, she usually succeeds and gets to enjoy whatever she has chosen to do.

We believe that this is the best way for now since she learns time management skills and she knows that she has to earn her privileges.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support