Higher Chinese or Normal Chinese

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Higher Chinese or Normal Chinese

Postby Foreverfriends » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 am

When does school stream line a child to take Higher Chinese or Normal Chinese? At P1 or higher primary? :?

Foreverfriends
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 am

Officially, it's at P5, ie after the P4 exam, your child will be recommended for HMT or MT. Some schools start their own "streaming" at P4. SAP schools will start introducing Higher Chinese to all students from P1.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Foreverfriends » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 am

I called Molin Tutorial Center to check on registration for P1 Chinese class. The staff asked me if my son will be taking Higher Chinese or Normal Chinese. I told her I don't know. She said should know it already. She said they have different class for Higher Chinese and Normal Chinese. I was like :? Thought the streaming only comes in at higher primary

How to do if a school is sap school?

Foreverfriends
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:29 am

Foreverfriends wrote:I called Molin Tutorial Center to check on registration for P1 Chinese class. The staff asked me if my son will be taking Higher Chinese or Normal Chinese. I told her I don't know. She said should know it already. She said they have different class for Higher Chinese and Normal Chinese. I was like :? Thought the streaming only comes in at higher primary

How to do if a school is sap school?

May be you want to check with the school? My friend dd was from non-SAP school but also learning HCL during P1.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Foreverfriends » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:01 am

Did the school inform you during orientation or you get to know it on the first day of school?

Foreverfriends
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support