Help on ML exemption

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Help on ML exemption

Postby LaziDad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:26 pm

My boy in P5 is doing really badly in ML (Chinese), around 38% consistently from P3. I'm considering to apply to MOE for ML exemption (Well, he’s eligible).

Experienced parents pls enlighten me on:
1. Will his choice of secondary schools be limited? I heard some sec schools do not accept students with ML exemption. Is this true?
2. Along the way in secondary schools, my son suddenly wants to study ML again (I hope :p ). Is this possible?

Very appreciate your help.

LaziDad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby J@SEMBAWANG » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi, I think you have to apply the exemption through the school by providing supporting reasons e.g medical reason why your child is not able to cope with the subject. MOE would have a panel to determine your case and approve accordingly.

As for Sec level, it would be up to the individual school to see if they would accept your child.

I hope you can help your your child. Do not give up.
Help your child to find away to improve the subject through tutor, enrichment etc.

Is the standard very high? Are you a Chinese?

J@SEMBAWANG
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mommyNg » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:17 pm

What I read from other KSP posts is that SAP schools would require their students to take HCL in Sec 1, at least. So if your child is posted to a SAP school based on his PSLE score (presumably the posting based on PSLE scores is "blind" to such exemption?) then he would be required to take HCL even if he was exempted from that in pri sch. However, if he wishes to apply DSA to a SAP school, then he would need to "convince" the school that he is capable of doing HCL, eg the sch may require him to take a HCL test.

Perhaps somebody with experience could verify this?

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pupilview » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Isn't it unfair that only students who take Mandarin can get admission to SAP schools?? How about those who take another language?Do correct me if I am wrong.Every child should be given an equal opportunity.What if the child coming from a chinese background simply doesn't want to study the language - give him/her an option to study another language.Maybe some other parents can shed light....

pupilview
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Help on ML exemption

Postby junrahmat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:33 pm

LaziDad wrote:My boy in P5 is doing really badly in ML (Chinese), around 38% consistently from P3. I'm considering to apply to MOE for ML exemption (Well, he’s eligible).

1. Will his choice of secondary schools be limited? I heard some sec schools do not accept students with ML exemption. Is this true?
2. Along the way in secondary schools, my son suddenly wants to study ML again (I hope :p ). Is this possible?

Hi LaziDad,
There are foreign students, such as Koreans, who are exempted from MT. They only write for 3 subjects during PSLE and perform well enough to be admitted to reputable (non SAP) schools.

junrahmat
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LaziDad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the info.
J@SEMBAWANG wrote:
I hope you can help your your child. Do not give up.
Help your child to find away to improve the subject through tutor, enrichment etc.

Is the standard very high? Are you a Chinese?

My son's ML is not chinese. It's Vietnamese actually. I had tried all the options for him: private tuition, tuition centre. But he's struggling. Haizzz. His P5 SA1, CA2 are all around 38% only.

PSLE is 10 months away from now. And the best I can hope for is 50 marks in ML. But 50 marks will affect his PSLE T-score badly. Haizzz.

mommyNg wrote:What I read from other KSP posts is that SAP schools would require their students to take HCL in Sec 1, at least. So if your child is posted to a SAP school based on his PSLE score (presumably the posting based on PSLE scores is "blind" to such exemption?) then he would be required to take HCL even if he was exempted from that in pri sch. However, if he wishes to apply DSA to a SAP school, then he would need to "convince" the school that he is capable of doing HCL, eg the sch may require him to take a HCL test.

Perhaps somebody with experience could verify this?

So there's no hope for my son to join SAP schools :(.

pupilview wrote:Isn't it unfair that only students who take Mandarin can get admission to SAP schools?? How about those who take another language?Do correct me if I am wrong.Every child should be given an equal opportunity.What if the child coming from a chinese background simply doesn't want to study the language - give him/her an option to study another language.Maybe some other parents can shed light....

Because SAP schools emphasis on chinese cultures. Naturally they will ask for HCL. But I do agree with you that there should be SAP schools for chinese and SAP schools for malay, tamil as well.

junrahmat wrote:Hi LaziDad,
There are foreign students, such as Koreans, who are exempted from MT. They only write for 3 subjects during PSLE and perform well enough to be admitted to reputable (non SAP) schools.

Thanks, Junrahmat.

LaziDad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Cheerfuldad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:58 pm

LaziDad wrote:My boy in P5 is doing really badly in ML (Chinese), around 38% consistently from P3. I'm considering to apply to MOE for ML exemption (Well, he’s eligible).

Hi LaziDad,

Q1 His choices of seconday will not be limited. He will be using the PSLE T score based on 3 subjects to apply for all the Secondary Schools including RI, HCI, ACS, VS, etc. so long he meet the COP. This information has been confirmed by MOE and the schools I mentioned earlier. :D

Q2. Not Sure. :love:

Cheerfuldad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby LaziDad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Cheerfuldad wrote:
Hi LaziDad,

Q1 His choices of seconday will not be limited. He will be using the PSLE T score based on 3 subjects to apply for all the Secondary Schools including RI, HCI, ACS, VS, etc. so long he meet the COP. This information has been confirmed by MOE and the schools I mentioned earlier. :D

Q2. Not Sure. :love:

Hi CheerfulDad,

Our nickname is very match :lol: . Thank a lot for your info. So my hope is alive again :).

Do you know what happen to the ML exempted boys in SAP school like HCI? Do they have to take HCL even they were exempted the ML in pri? Thx.

LaziDad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby peterch » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi, one of my friend DD got this MT exemption and I read the letter from MOE regarding this.

According to the letter,
1. Your DS for can apply to any secondary school EXCEPT SAP school
2. Once you apply for this, you may apply to cancel the exemption but NOT Guaranteed

My advice, please think over this carefully and wisely. PM me your email, I'll try to get the copy of the letter for you.

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby LaziDad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 pm

peterch wrote:
Hi, one of my friend DD got this MT exemption and I read the letter from MOE regarding this.

According to the letter,
1. Your DS for can apply to any secondary school EXCEPT SAP school
2. Once you apply for this, you may apply to cancel the exemption but NOT Guaranteed

My advice, please think over this carefully and wisely. PM me your email, I'll try to get the copy of the letter for you.

Hi peterch,

PM you my email already. Thank you a million :D

LaziDad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support