How to score in Compostition Writing

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to score in Compostition Writing

Postby vkoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:40 am

Dear mummies and daddies, please advise me how to help my DS to score in his comp writing. His average score is about 15-16 out of 20 everytime. I dont understand how come his classmates can get 19 or 19.5. Any tips to share? Thanks

vkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to score in Compostition Writing

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 am

vkoh wrote:Dear mummies and daddies, please advise me how to help my DS to score in his comp writing. His average score is about 15-16 out of 20 everytime. I dont understand how come his classmates can get 19 or 19.5. Any tips to share? Thanks

:idea: ask the teacher for samples of the 19/19.5 and compare the diff lor!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GuzHo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:59 am

No choice but make your child read more and more good books with good phrases and books on model compos are available in Popular. :D

GuzHo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby vkoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
vkoh wrote:Dear mummies and daddies, please advise me how to help my DS to score in his comp writing. His average score is about 15-16 out of 20 everytime. I dont understand how come his classmates can get 19 or 19.5. Any tips to share? Thanks

:idea: ask the teacher for samples of the 19/19.5 and compare the diff lor!

Haha...read the comp, dont see much difference...

vkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vkoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:14 pm

wxlsh2001 wrote:Hi,

Some personal opinion in the capacity of a tutor.
Certain parents encourage the use of higher level vocabulary in their child's compositions. Not that this is wrong, but rather, the whole writing will sound very unnatural, since many times, the child's thoughts may not be coherent with the level of language used.

My take will be to minimise careless mistakes, and simplicity is beauty.
Hope that may have given you some insight as well.

Regards,
Eric

Hi Eric,

Totally agreed with you :D

vkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm

my gal is ok wif use of vocab but she cant think logically
tend to write irrelevant or long winded or illogical thinkg. how to cure?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jeestan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi 24-hr mum,

My son also was not very logical in his writing. But he attended TAS (the alternative story) holiday programme and regular programmes and I can see improvement. They teach you how to build tension and how to develop the story logically and they have a template (a fixed compo) where the kids will learn how to write a certain story and then the next few compos will show the kids how to apply the same phrases to slightly diff scenarios. Eg: on accident, they teach you how to write on scalding and then the next compo is on falling from a tree and the next on bicycle accident and they show the kids how to apply what they learn on describing the injuries and the building tension of the accident to all the other accidents. I find my boy is able to catch it and able to think in a more logical way after that. I am not part of TAS, just want to share how they teach so that maybe you can pick up some tips to help your child.

Another way to help the child to be logical I think is to write down the points they need to cover in the compo so they dont miss out one point or dont over elaborate on another point.

jeestan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby parent_in_west » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Agree with jeestan that it is important that the kid learns writing techniques and learns from good models.

My DS grew to love writing after being exposed to a variety of writing techniques by his tutor. Good models are important as kids will be able to read the models and see for themselves why the model is better than their own story.

parent_in_west
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby beautifulday » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi Jeestan,

can you recommend the TAS holiday and regular programmes that your DD attends.

Am trying to find programmes for my DD to hone her creative writing skills,....by far one of her weakest subject.

Thanks

beautifulday
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jeestan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 am

beautifulday wrote:Hi Jeestan,

can you recommend the TAS holiday and regular programmes that your DD attends.

Am trying to find programmes for my DD to hone her creative writing skills,....by far one of her weakest subject.

Thanks

Hi,

They are both good. I find that my boy improved in his writing after joining for just a short while. He also is very excited to go to class. However, to find out more maybe you could visit their website or call them to arrange to go down and look at their materials?

jeestan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support