English - Grammar - when to put 's'

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

English - Grammar - when to put 's'

Postby 24hr-mum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm

actually i m teaching my preschooler grammar but he tends to get confused when shd hv 's' becos:

for a noun, we put 's' when it is a plural noun eg boy become 'boys'

but for a verb its the opposite. if its for plural noun, we dont put 's' for the verb. eg boys 'walk' (not walks)

how to explain this rule to make him understand?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby plum-cake » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:49 am

1. Adding an S to the noun as in dogs,boys, cats, girls etc.
2. nouns which ends with sh,ch.s,z or x these words form plural by adding es foxes, kisses, wishes etc...
3. there are TRICKy plurals e.g.... children

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:11 am

but his problem is he cant rem that for plural nouns eg boys (which has 's' already), he is supp to match with singular verbs (ie no 's')

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: grammar - when to put 's'

Postby Lock » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 pm

24hr-mum wrote:actually i m teaching my preschooler grammar but he tends to get confused when shd hv 's' becos:

for a noun, we put 's' when it is a plural noun eg boy become 'boys'

but for a verb its the opposite. if its for plural noun, we dont put 's' for the verb. eg boys 'walk' (not walks)

how to explain this rule to make him understand?

It is important that your child is very familiar with the part of speech (noun, verb, adjective, adverb etc) before you go into tenses (singular/plural present tense ).

It will not be easy to teach grammar to pre sch kids as grammar is a difficult concept to grasp (cognitively they are still no ready). You can try to make it simple for him to understand at this level by explaining that most verbs are action words and nouns are words that represent things, places, animals and people. Kids have to know the difference before you can tell them that plural noun will need to add 's' and plural nouns (animal/people) doing the action, the action word will not need to add 's'.

Lock
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lock » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:02 pm

At presch level, the kids learn most through listening, hence, our speech is very important. Most Singaporeans tend not to speak grammatically correct sentences and so the kids do not get to hear the correct grammar.

Very often, we hear ppl say, 'he don't want to eat', 'she like ice cream'.

So if we want our kids to pick up good grammar, we have to be very careful with our speech. :D

Lock
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby plum-cake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:54 am

If you are really keen you can try Jolly Grammer book 1 n 2. Its a part of the jolly phonics program. Its available in September 21 .Toa payoh.

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:59 am

24hr-mum wrote:but his problem is he cant rem that for plural nouns eg boys (which has 's' already), he is supp to match with singular verbs (ie no 's')

my ds' kinderland teacher taught them to remember in this way: ONE person need 'S'uperman to help..so The boy plays...More then one person no need 'S'uperman to help..so The boys play...Hope it helps your ds :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby duriz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:25 am

Hi 24hr-mum,

I found this online.
Hope it's useful :D

http://www.edutunes.com/free_materials_ ... lurals.htm

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:44 am

Eh..... In any case, there is nothing to understand if you know what I mean, it is just a standard CONVENTION everyone has to learn, remember and conform to.

If the first person who invented English language has decided that we put verbs with 's' behind plural nouns, then today we will be doing that.

So I rather think of something he likes and make the remembering of the rules easy for him.

eg. power rangers. let him know that when there are many power rangers together, they don't need the "S"pecial weapon in their verb(i.e. actions) but when they are alone doing something, their "S"special weapon has to help them since they are alone. Then not only you teach him grammar(don't need real understanding), you are also teaching him something that needs understanding, i.e. 'United we stand, divided we fall and hence need weapons." :lol: :lol: :lol:

And when he encounters many nouns which are things or people that are many, the same rule applies. Can do? :?

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:48 am

thanks all for the tips. esp the superman tip.

my girl has no issue wif grammar but my boy alwaz have problems with rules....

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support