CCA in Upper Primary

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

CCA in Upper Primary

Postby clover18 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi there,does anyone know if CCA is compulsory in upper primary? Will a child be dis-advantaged if he/she does not take on any CCA...esp when selecting a secondary school? Does it play a big part in DSA applications? Need some advice. Thanks.

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hmsg » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:31 pm

I think CCA is compulsory once your child reaches P4. They need to have at least 1 CCA.

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby clover18 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:55 pm

My gal was telling me that there are a couple of kids in her P3 class with no CCAs. So it seems that we do have a choice whether to take on CCAs. My personal preference is for my gal to participate in any one CCA, but she seems to think otherwise. Citing reason that there is none on the list that interests her. She'd rather spend the time doing something else. My concern is that having no CCA does not appear well (?) on her CV when she applies for a secondary school. Is that a valid concern?

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hmsg » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:03 am

clover18 wrote:My gal was telling me that there are a couple of kids in her P3 class with no CCAs. So it seems that we do have a choice whether to take on CCAs. My personal preference is for my gal to participate in any one CCA, but she seems to think otherwise. Citing reason that there is none on the list that interests her. She'd rather spend the time doing something else. My concern is that having no CCA does not appear well (?) on her CV when she applies for a secondary school. Is that a valid concern?

Can always find out her interest and see if can start a similar CCA... but i thought the CCAs diversity are well spread... should have something that they don't dislike for sure...

Don't think not having CCA is a significant concern... unless left 1 slot and both academically equal... then CCA may be the tie breaker... my $0.05

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby clover18 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks hmsg for yr advice :)

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hmsg » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:51 am

most welcome! i learn a lot from this site too :D

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:56 am

It's best to start "grooming" children to enjoy and participate willingly in CCAs from primary school 'cause in secondary school, CCA is compulsory. If you rchild dislikes CCA for some reason or other or finds CCA boring, it'll become a problem in sec sch when he/she just does the minimum like be sleeping member. Doesn't reflect well at all when teacher writes testimonial or you want to apply for scholarship or go to good sch for further education.

Like what hmsg wrote, CCA is the tiebreaker in sec sch. Got some student award? Check academic reaults and CCA. Want to go to very popular course in poly or uni? Check CCA if everybody scored very well academically. Boss hiring for job with many applicants, use CCA 'cause active CCA participation with good ranks/positions will imply ability to work well in teams, leadership, etc.

Lastly, CCA is considered a subject in sec sch and you can use it to help you enter good poly or JC.

I know my CCA participation, even in uni, helped make my resume look SO much better. :mrgreen:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clover18 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Thanks Schellen. Din realise CCA is compulsory in secondary school. You are right.....noone wants a 'bookworm', rather someone with varied exposure in both academic, sports, etc. I'll encourage my gal to look for an activity she'll like. The problem is she's interested in sports like athletics. But the CCA is by invitation ie only if you pass the school's selection trials will you be invited to join the school team. They dont accept kids who does not make the mark :(

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:10 pm

clover18 wrote:Thanks Schellen. Din realise CCA is compulsory in secondary school. You are right.....noone wants a 'bookworm', rather someone with varied exposure in both academic, sports, etc. I'll encourage my gal to look for an activity she'll like. The problem is she's interested in sports like athletics. But the CCA is by invitation ie only if you pass the school's selection trials will you be invited to join the school team. They dont accept kids who does not make the mark :(

Maybe her school is well-known for athletics? I came from a sec sch with rep for dance and the way they select and train new members is also very stringent.

Since it's not compulsory in pri sch, but to keep her still interested and to give her experience and exposure, find an athletic group outside of school for her. That way, when she goes to sec sch, she will be more "suitable" should they have trials and her background may also put her in good light.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clover18 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:24 am

Hey, why didnt I think of that? You're right, if she's really keen and not up to par for the school's athletics team, I can also send her to an external school. Do you know of any athletics school?

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support