keep or throw? wrap or not?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

keep or throw? wrap or not?

Postby 24hr-mum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 pm

hi

do u parents keep or throw assessment bks, sch text bk and sch wkbks?

is it nec to wrap all sch textbks n wkbks?
i used to wrap everything but thinking since got to throw wkbk, maybe dont wrap

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: keep or throw? wrap or not?

Postby janet88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

24hr-mum wrote:hi

do u parents keep or throw assessment bks, sch text bk and sch wkbks?

is it nec to wrap all sch textbks n wkbks?
i used to wrap everything but thinking since got to throw wkbk, maybe dont wrap

The CL workbook has perforated lines...same goes for 'My Pals' Eng workbook...so teachers get the kids to tear out the segment so that they don't have to carry heavy books home to mark. As such, I don't wrap workbook/activity books anymore. For assessment books, I try to get my son to finish it by year end...if not confident of finishing, I will try to sell them off.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby imacsg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi,
I only wrap text book. Assessment book and wkbook, I normally throw away after use. Textbook still can pass down. If you wrap everything, your kid bag will be heavier.

imacsg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 pm

i c. thanks.
if got 2 kids or 3 kids, to wrap everythg wld not be cheap

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:29 pm

24hr-mum wrote:i c. thanks.
if got 2 kids or 3 kids, to wrap everythg wld not be cheap

I buy the standard plastic wrap from my sch bookstore. They have pack the needed ones by the year. 1 pack cost $9.90. Even with wrapping, DS textbooks also become grubby by end of year.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pokemon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:35 pm

I wrapped both textbks and workbooks. My DS books n plastic wrappers are still in good condition even by year end so i recycle the plastic wrappers for the new books since the bks sizes are the same. Save $ and easier job for me. I pass old textbks to frens or ntuc and throw the completed wrkbks and assessment bks.

pokemon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 pm

How often do they revise the textbooks? My sons are 3 years apart. Wondering if i can keep the books for the younger one.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Champion » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:12 am

MummyThreeStreams wrote:How often do they revise the textbooks? My sons are 3 years apart. Wondering if i can keep the books for the younger one.

Hello MummyThree Streams,
My 1st and 2nd child are also 3 years apart and I have heard feedbacks from some parents that the syllabus change every 3 years and so I did not keep my 1st child Txbooks - instead donate them to the NTUC donate books event. But I do heard that they have to keep the Science Textbooks from P3 onwards to P6.

Just my own view :lol:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:08 am

Champion wrote:
MummyThreeStreams wrote:How often do they revise the textbooks? My sons are 3 years apart. Wondering if i can keep the books for the younger one.

Hello MummyThree Streams,
My 1st and 2nd child are also 3 years apart and I have heard feedbacks from some parents that the syllabus change every 3 years and so I did not keep my 1st child Txbooks - instead donate them to the NTUC donate books event. But I do heard that they have to keep the Science Textbooks from P3 onwards to P6.

Just my own view :lol:

My kids are 4 years apart...younger one going to P1 next year. So far, the only books which can be recycled are the Chinese textbook & Social Studies. Other than that, the Maths textbook and Eng are different...forgot to add, different schools :wink:

As for Science, I keep the guidebooks...esp since son is using 'new' syllabus.

When I bought daughter's books, there were textbook covers for most of the books...saved me so much time wrapping the textbooks. I used some for son's Chinese & Math textbooks instead...no point wrapping activity books.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 pm

besides being a hoarder, i keep all my ds1's textbooks. i placed them on the bookshelves so that ds2 has assess to and can flip them for fun. so far, he likes the social studies, health education and the CL textbooks (which i read to him once in a while). will be keeping the P1 math books to self-teach P1 math preparatory during K2, so whether syllabus are updated is not an issue.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support