Children's School Bags

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

For how long did you help your child to pack his/her bag?

P1
50%
P2
19%
P3
19%
P4
6%
P5
No votes
P6
No votes
Sec 1
6%

Total votes : 16

Re: Children's School Bags

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 am

I still do it once a fortnight. It's kind of trash-removal-and-spring-cleaning. The amount of stuff (paper drawings, aeroplanes, staples, broken pens, etc) that can collect in that time is nothing short of amazing. Hopefully, he will be better in P4.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 am

Personally I think by P3/P4, children can pack by themselves. For P1/P2, we need to check letters to parents and homework. Moreoever, if parents pack, it takes lesser time. I feel that packing of bags would come naturally later on when they want to take ownership of their things. Time wasted on packing bags can be channelled to other things since FTWM are already pressed for time. I am speaking from experience of having an elder girl who is now P6.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:42 am

I stopped packing for my P1 going around term 3. It was getting predictable so I trust her to manage it herself. However, I do "spot check" from time to time as kids being kids, they like to bring all sorts of stuff to school.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Picolo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:03 am

I always check their bags (P1 & P2) every evening after school to go through the correspondences from the school, organiser and all the workbooks and exercise books for spelling/journal/etc.

However, they are supposed to pack their own bags for school every morning, then I ask them questions to make sure they know what they are supposed to bring to school. So far, still cannot completely 'hands-free'.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 am

Why need to help ah? :?

My kid has been packing her own bags ever since K1 or 4+ for any kind of class. Packing is no rocket science, much easier compared to learning times table, spelling, tingxie, writing and all the things most parents are concerned with. If she forgets, she bears the responsibiity, no putting blame on me. :wink:

If ever I am involved, it is on an exception basis, ie, she ran out of time! :lol:

In any case, P1/P2 bag is very easy to pack.... everyday has Eng, Math, MT...only the special subjects to take note.

Postby usaik » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:30 am

My son is in P2. He is packing his bag himself. It is easier for him to do his own packing as I wouldn't know what has the teacher asked them to bring and what need not be brought to school the next day.

But like Picolo, I will check his bag or ask/remind ds to give me school correspondence if any.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby coolbaby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:58 pm

My son in P1 now. I think the teacher told them to pack their own bag so after 1st or 2nd day of school, he knows that he has to pack his bag every night. Though there are times he forgets that he needs me to remind him. After packing, I will check. But then now I realised there is nothing much to pack cos the teachers kept most of the books. He only have to bring MT and Maths books everyday, except Friday no Maths but there's Art lesson.

coolbaby
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

School Bags and Timetable

Postby buds » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:19 am

Heyya all,

My kiddies were introduced to a timetable since 3yrs old.
Not from school but from home. I didn't send kiddies
to a playgroup or nursery until much later, so the
earlier part of their toddler years, i was their teacher.
So, like a home-schooling environment hence i've to
prepare a routine which is feasible for me to juggle
all the housework, part time stints and teaching to
toddlers at home. With a timetable, time is managed
better. Children also have better discipline. They know
what to do at which hour and look forward to it... It also
helps them read time much faster.. For me at least.
Our daily timetable is pasted on the wall for easy reference
and not forgetting at the kiddies eye-level as well.

So, my contribution to this thread is my kiddies pack
their own school bags.

After kiddies reach home after school they''ll automatically,
hand out school diary/comm book, correspondences from sch
(if any), their homework (if any) and have their shower..

The school bags are packed before they go to bed..
Morning session, everything must prepare early!
Cannot last minute.

Similarly with other parents, the ocassional spot-checks and
spring cleaning will still be required from time to time.. Those
sharpener dust can really collect down there to form a nice
carpet for the bag.. So far, this year the cleanliness has improved.
We kept iterating that the ergonomic bag costs a lot! So must
keep it clean at all times. :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Luvkid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:35 pm

ya ya, i am still juggling with this problem since the beginning of this year as my elder son juz enter P1. After 1 month do the packing of school bag for him, i switch to "u pack, i check" Anything goes wrong, there will be reduce of pocket money by 10cts. Till now, alrd april, i still have not "LET GO" on the checking..... :?:

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Since start of sometime mid Term 1 (or first month....dun remember already :wink:), my P1 has been packing his bag. I did checking during term 1, but come term 2 i become lazy. I no longer check whether he follows the timetable. I only check if he remembers his homework. If he forgotten, he'll have to do it in the morning before he leaves for school (ie forgoing his laze-in-bed time).

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support