PSLE Preparation (setting a study time-table)

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

PSLE Preparation (setting a study time-table)

Postby claire » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi to parents with children sitting for PSLE this year,
I have just finished planning a revision time table (for Maths) for my child. Honestly, when I look at it myself, I do wonder if it is going to be easy for my child to actually stick to the time table diligently. School workload is heavy enough, not to mention their CCAs, and outside enrichment classes & music lessons, etc.

Any one of you care to share any good advice as to how you have planned your child's PSLE revision and help him/her in this learning journey ?

Wishing all parents & children an enjoyable & blessed year ahead !

claire
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby csc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:18 pm

For Maths, if the child is able, can start teaching child on the topics "speed" and "area of circles" ahead of syllabus. Actually, it should be done during the dec holidays before pr 6.

As for Science - good to start revising pr 3, 4 and pr 5 work systematically. Again, should have started part of the revision during the dec holidays.

You are right.. it's going to be tough finding time to do any other work except the teacher's. :?:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi
My child also P6 this yr. I have yet to draw up the time table. You go to the details as to what topic which day/time?

Planning time table has to have some flexibility to cater to actual study pace because a planner always tend to plan based on nothing happen - sometimes we may feel tired on a particular day. We also need to factor in time to catch up if actual falls behind plan. Plus more time for those topics not so strong in.

To properly roll out all topics till THE DAY, we need to know
1) what are the topics
2) sequence of topics taught in sch

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:49 pm

csc
can't start to revise P3-5 Science coz has to learn P6 syallabus -- habitat, adaptation & what not.

For maths, still has algebra in addition to speed & circles. Besides the new topics, the others are also a level up (ie more difficult)

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Caroline3sg,

Try to do concurrently if possible. CA1 and SA1 will usually cover some of the Science P3-P5 topics, if not all, by SA1. Good to start revising earlier cos the child would most probably have forgotten the P3 or 4 concepts.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 pm

csc
thank you for your advice. My girl's sch does not have CA. I believe concepts are not forgotten but has difficulty phrasing the answer for OE questions.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: PSLE Preparation (setting a study time-table)

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:05 pm

claire wrote:...Any one of you care to share any good advice as to how you have planned your child's PSLE revision and help him/her in this learning journey ?...

Sounds like a great topic for a write-up. Any volunteers :pray: ? My writing style is too boring for such serious stuff.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby claire » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks for all your sharing.
I have managed to get my child to go through his Pr 5 work during the Dec break and also to get his "foundation" right for some topics in science. This way, I thought, when he starts his Pr 6 this year, he can concentrate on the "Pr 6 tougher topics" and concurrently , move on with his other revisions.

And yes, ChiefKiasu, it would be good to have more parents coming forward to "discuss" on this issue , a serious one though.
:idea:

claire
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Jennifer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 pm

I remember the principal of Nanyang Pri Sch mentioned that PSLE preparation starts from P1.

I have no specific time table for my boy. Some days he brings back homework for 3 subjects, some days only 1 or 2 subjects. Today, he claims all teachers give tons of homework to be work upon on Sat and Sun. On those days he is free, I let him work on assessment books.

I have forseen no time for revising past year topics in MA and Sc. So what I have done was to expect strong foundations in early years and good results every year. Whatever he does not fully grasp, I would cover the areas in the same year. In this way, he was able to cope with new demands for the next level. So far, he has interests in EL/MA/Sc, so he is able to cope well. The only problem he faces is CL, a subject I have failed in coaching.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 am

Hi, I would like to share my own experience, I definately not a good writer but would try. My girl was P6 last year. At P5, teachers already started to give us feedbacks on her progress and some suggestions.

During P6, I have planned a time table for her during school holidays, not the normal days. Because in normal days, she has her normal homeworks and remedial class to attend in school. I believe that school holidays is the best time to go through all the weak parts.

The time table bascially started 10 to 10.30 am.
1) Do assessments (each day one subject)
2) Pratise piano
3) Lunch time & bathe
4) Read Newspapers (English one day, Chinese the other day and so on), do newspaper reviews, write out the difficult words, find the meanings and compose a sentence with the difficult words.
5) Read story books (We borrowed Chinese and English story books from the library for her to read during the holidays)
6) Play time, usually she would watch TV or go msn, play computer
7) Do her school holiday homework, if any
8) Watch chinese news at 10pm together, explain to her if she could not understand, then pick on a news event to discuss when we have the time.

I would mark her assessments and go through her mistakes at night. When PSLE is near, in the weekend, we went through difficult Math questions. I was very bad in P6 Maths because they did a lot of model drawings, hence I was not able to help her much. So she would need to ask her classmates or teachers. I also bought a guide book and we went through together.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support