lower block and upper block science

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

lower block and upper block science

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:08 am

Hi mummies and daddies, i compared with a colleague of mine... and she told me that her daughter is studying p3 Forces...and that's what my p4 nephew will be doing in p4 instead... they're both from different schools... why is it that way for lower block sciences? How are the syllabus divided in schools ?

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: lower block and upper block science

Postby janet88 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:18 am

kiasu_mum75 wrote:Hi mummies and daddies, i compared with a colleague of mine... and she told me that her daughter is studying p3 Forces...and that's what my p4 nephew will be doing in p4 instead... they're both from different schools... why is it that way for lower block sciences? How are the syllabus divided in schools ?

'Forces' is under 'Interactions' in 'Upper Block' (ie P5/6).

For P3 and P4, Science is classified under 'Lower Block'. Different schools will teacher different topics. Lower Block Science consists of 'Diversity', 'Systems', 'Interactions' (magnets), 'Energy' and 'Cycles'.
When my boy was in P3, he was taught Diversity and Systems...the other 3 topics were taught in P4 this year. These 5 topics were tested at SA2 in P4.

Upper Block is taught at P5 and P6.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:29 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
kiasu_mum75 wrote:Hi mummies and daddies, i compared with a colleague of mine... and she told me that her daughter is studying p3 Forces...and that's what my p4 nephew will be doing in p4 instead... they're both from different schools... why is it that way for lower block sciences? How are the syllabus divided in schools ?

For P3 and P4, Science is classified under 'Lower Block'. Different schools will teacher different topics. Lower Block Science consists of 'Diversity', 'Systems', 'Interactions' (magnets), 'Energy' and 'Cycles'.
When my boy was in P3, he was taught Diversity and Systems...the other 3 topics were taught in P4 this year. These 5 topics were tested at SA2 in P4.

Does that mean P4 exam will include P3 work? And when come to PSLE, kids are expected to remember what they have learnt from P3 to P6?

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:35 pm

bebe wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:

Does that mean P4 exam will include P3 work? And when come to PSLE, kids are expected to remember what they have learnt from P3 to P6?

Yes. Your're right.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:33 pm

For my dd's school, P3 covers diversity, system, interaction

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:43 pm

P4 SA2 will include everything taught at P3 and at PSLE, the kids have to remember everything from P3-P6. Cannot forget any detail.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:10 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:P4 SA2 will include everything taught at P3 and at PSLE, the kids have to remember everything from P3-P6. Cannot forget any detail.

Hi, so that means to say we have to keep all the textbooks + Assessment books for P3 - P6 until PSLE?
Thanks.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Champion wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:P4 SA2 will include everything taught at P3 and at PSLE, the kids have to remember everything from P3-P6. Cannot forget any detail.

Hi, so that means to say we have to keep all the textbooks + Assessment books for P3 - P6 until PSLE?
Thanks.

Yes, you have to keep all the textbooks and those Science assessment books you find useful until P6. Honestly, I only kept son's textbooks and 1 assessment book...but his notes are kept up.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:17 am

Yes, you have to keep all the textbooks and those Science assessment books you find useful until P6. Honestly, I only kept son's textbooks and 1 assessment book...but his notes are kept up.[/quote]

Hi, Thanks so much for your advice :thankyou: .
Really appreciate that - 1 more question which is the only assessment book your keep (p.s. guess that publisher notes must be more comprehensive :lol: ).

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Champion,
I kept 'Conquer Science P3/4'...questions are related to his school exam format. School textbooks are rather brief but still have to keep.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support