Trend that school is using the mass market assessment books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Trend that school is using the mass market assessment books

Postby Suz855 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi,

Have you observed that nowsaday, besides the school textbooks which the school hardly referred to and used, our kids have to purchase a number of off the self assessment books, it used to be optional & now compulsory to purchase (My P4 girl had to complete her SAP Science assessment book in 1 week before the SA2 last year, think the teacher must have forgotten until end of the year :( ).... finding this trend troubling .... aren't the school suppose to come up with their own teaching material & had their own assessment accordingly besides the CAs & SAs...... :?

Pls share your view

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BlurBee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:24 pm

There is an English assessment book in the pile of my DD's P2 books & I thought the bookshop assistant put wrongly. :oops:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

BlurBee wrote:There is an English assessment book in the pile of my DD's P2 books & I thought the bookshop assistant put wrongly. :oops:

In my daughter's pile of P1 books, I didn't realize I had opted to buy an English guide book (optional list). Neighbour told me there is a Math assessment book in P5 booklist 'Problem-Solving Processes in Mathematics (New Syllabus)'...so I went to buy it last year from Popular. But I didn't see this assessment book in his booklist. Anyway, will be getting son to do it.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cascada » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:18 pm

If the assessment book is suitable, then there is no need to reinvent the wheel, this can in turn help save teachers' time and hopefully they will use the time saved to do more meaningful coaching.

cascada
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 pm

cascada wrote:If the assessment book is suitable, then there is no need to reinvent the wheel, this can in turn help save teachers' time and hopefully they will use the time saved to do more meaningful coaching.

School HOD should plan own worksheets instead of using assessment books. Doesn't quite make sense...parents have no choice but to use assessment books bcos we don't know how else to coach but school should have the resources.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:55 pm

:idea: cost cutting? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tisha » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 am

Any good suggestions for English and Science assessment books? Haven't bought yet for my DS (P6).
For maths just ordered On Sponge. :D

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 am

tisha wrote:Any good suggestions for English and Science assessment books? Haven't bought yet for my DS (P6).
For maths just ordered On Sponge. :D

Son's Maths teacher just got the class to buy Onsponge...no longer Fabian Ng's Problem-solving processes.

But what about English ? I really want to get a good English assessment book to prepare my son for his CA1.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:21 am

tankee wrote::idea: cost cutting? :?

I don't know about the cost cutting...maybe the HODs are incapable of producing good worksheets compared to professional authors.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
tankee wrote::idea: cost cutting? :?

I don't know about the cost cutting...maybe the HODs are incapable of producing good worksheets compared to professional authors.

To be fair:
Most authors are full time authors. Their work is checked by editors.
For books from good publishing houses, the quality is there.
Also, they have a team of graphic designers adding in the pictures and illustrations. Especially for Science, it's very tedious to draw out the diagrams for the experiments!

Teachers & HODs have a lot of work to do. Much more than students and parents can see.

If the mass market assessment book serves their needs, then I don't see why teachers can't use them as long as the students are asked to purchase them (not photocopy).

Also, if you realised, many tutors/parents are using mass market assessment books and they manage to produce good results from students who may not have been doing well. It's the systematic approach that some of the books have that also helps (e.g. OnSponge).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support