AM session kids

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

AM session kids

Postby juz_me » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi,

My elder son is in Pri 1 this year. He is in the AM session and has to wake up at 5.30am. Reaches home at 2.40pm and be in bed by 8.15pm.

I am a full-time working mom. And the earliest I reach home is at 6.30pm.
At this time, he will watch OKTO cartoons.

Like to find out from FTWM, how does one "squeeze in" time to coach the child?

Thank you

juz_me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:59 pm

once you reach home, attend to your child's work first. You can bathe, eat & do housework later (eg laundry) when he is in bed.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lizawa » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi juz_me,

I think P1 school work is still manageable so long as your son is attentive in class.

At the least, you should check his school work daily and prepares him for spelling and tingxie tests weekly.

You can also let him do some assessment in the afternoon, when he is free. Make it a daily routine, like 1 test or 10 questions per day. I started this with my 2 children from P1 also. So over the years, they are so used to it, they will automatically ask me every day, 'What assignments from you?" Of course they do get their breaks during school hols and after exam.

You can mark them after he goes to bed and goes through the mistakes the next day or 2, when time permits.

Of course, there is always the weekend to do more revision.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: AM session kids

Postby Zann » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:28 pm

juz_me wrote:Hi,

My elder son is in Pri 1 this year. He is in the AM session and has to wake up at 5.30am. Reaches home at 2.40pm and be in bed by 8.15pm.

I am a full-time working mom. And the earliest I reach home is at 6.30pm.
At this time, he will watch OKTO cartoons.

Thank you

Hi juz_me,

This how I manage mine as a working mum. I let my 3 prmary school kids go to after school care centre. Overthere they will do their school homework. If there is no school work. They are given assessment daily (a few pages) after that. The teachers there mark assessment for them, get them to do correction. You can bring home to check regularly. Also they will prepare them for tingxie. They have about an hour play time which they normaly play board game or at the playground for P1 & 2. Selected TV program only given during school holiday whence they will be there whole day. After work, we fetch them for dinner. We reach home around 7:30 pm. The kids take turns to bathe and practics piano. All done by 8:15 pm. It will be reading time. By 9:30pm, they should be in bed.
We need to put school holiday into consideration as we can't be taking leave every day during these periods when they don't go to school. The after school care come as a good helping hand. Also, for lower primary, they have nap time in the afternoon.

Hi Lizawa, how do you settle your kids when they dont go to school especially long school holiday. Do you have other adults at home with them?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sashimi » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Same here, my DD goes to childcare (where she spent K2). She does her HW or assessments there, after her bath/lunch/nap. My MIL picks her up at 5.30, gives her dinner, then my wife and/or I pick her up at 7, we reach home at 7.30pm.

Frankly I'm still trying to get used to this. I realize I haven't gotten into the habit of checking her HW at all, which is bad.

Anyway... 7.30pm: my wife plunges into housework while I go bathe with DD, then I coach her in piano (THIS I am used to). She sometimes has a bit of spare time for TV or games with me, before she goes to bed, post-bedtime stories. Currently her cut-off is 10pm, but we're going to work towards 9.30pm and possibly earlier.

But yes, the issue is the time between reaching home and child's bedtime is being squeezed thinner and thinner, it's quite ridiculous. I blame our society for insisting we adults have to work so long hours. 9-to-5 should be reinstated if society is really serious about having wholesome and well-brought up kids (with sane parents).

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby winth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Juz_me,

I personally feel that bed time at 815pm, is it abit too early?
If the child gets afternoon naps for about 1-1.5 hour, he can catch some sleep there. You might be able to stretch up to 9pm for bedtime.

Then you get extra 30 mins for study time with your boy. During your study time, you can go through some assessments with your boy, go through some work, and ask him to do those as homework during his freetime in the afternoon.

Hi Zann & sashimi,

What is the priority of the after school care centre?
Assuming School homework after complete liao, followed by parent's homework or the centre's work sheets?

So, from school they go to school care centre, so will the clothes + work given by parents all be packed in the schoolbag? Or some other way huh?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:24 pm

winth wrote:Hi Zann & sashimi,

What is the priority of the after school care centre?
Assuming School homework after complete liao, followed by parent's homework or the centre's work sheets?

So, from school they go to school care centre, so will the clothes + work given by parents all be packed in the schoolbag? Or some other way huh?

Er, DW replying on behalf of sashimi :wink:
Our DD will be picked up at her pri sch by teacher from CC. (CC has BASC.) Her clothes for after school shower time packed by me and brought to CC by DH after he drops DD off at pri sch. (Note that home and pri sch and CC are all within 5 minutes' walk of each other.)
As far as I know, some CCs don't have BASC. Some have but are merely babysitters. The one my DD has been going to since K2 has a teacher just for the BASC children. She will give them assessments to do. We have to buy one set of books for DD. This is done after lunch-shower-nap-tea. After work is done, BASC teacher will bring them out for outdoor play, either to playground across the carpark or at void deck with some activity planned beforehand.
After this, my mom picks DD up and gives her dinner. We pick her up at about 7p.m. and after shower at home, I will check her bag for homework or ask her (but she's forgetful sometimes).
If there's spelling or tingxie, I don't know if the CC will help cos so far no tingxie or spelling list given yet.

As for assessments at home, yes, I bought some books for maths, english and chinese last year. I will supervise her when we have the time but I also check to see how much work she has already done for that day so as not to overburden her cos we do want her to enjoy the free time she deserves.

ADD: All the BASC children at DD's CC are from the same pri sch, and were already enrolled in the CC before starting pri sch.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:37 pm

9-to-5 should be reinstated if society is really serious about having wholesome and well-brought up kids (with sane parents).

Did we have 9-5 last time? Now that the economy is bad, employers is cutting costs by having lesser work week (ie mediacorp), cutting salary etc Are we ready to take lesser pay to be back home early?

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Er, DW replying on behalf of sashimi
Our DD will be picked up at her pri sch by teacher from CC. (CC has BASC.) Her clothes for after school shower time packed by me and brought to CC by DH after he drops DD off at pri sch. (Note that home and pri sch and CC are all within 5 minutes' walk of each other.)
As far as I know, some CCs don't have BASC. Some have but are merely babysitters. The one my DD has been going to since K2 has a teacher just for the BASC children. She will give them assessments to do. We have to buy one set of books for DD. This is done after lunch-shower-nap-tea. After work is done, BASC teacher will bring them out for outdoor play, either to playground across the carpark or at void deck with some activity planned beforehand.
After this, my mom picks DD up and gives her dinner. We pick her up at about 7p.m. and after shower at home, I will check her bag for homework or ask her (but she's forgetful sometimes).
If there's spelling or tingxie, I don't know if the CC will help cos so far no tingxie or spelling list given yet.

Wow, that's sounds like a real complex coordination exercise for the whole family. but I think next year, I'll be in it too liao...

So, that's how clothes and HW end up in BASC, it killed many of the brain cells when I tried to rationalise how it all worked out. Thanks for the very useful info.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:51 pm

caroline3sg wrote:
9-to-5 should be reinstated if society is really serious about having wholesome and well-brought up kids (with sane parents).

Did we have 9-5 last time? Now that the economy is bad, employers is cutting costs by having lesser work week (ie mediacorp), cutting salary etc Are we ready to take lesser pay to be back home early?

ya, my husband's company just retrenched 1 lady who served them 20 years yesterday. Gave like 1 hour notice, and had to leave with immediate effect. Only allowed to come back to company to collect personal belongings (with security guard) after office hours.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support