please recommend English fiction books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

please recommend English fiction books

Postby moirwong » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am

She is a primary 6 avid reader. Loves fiction stories and ballet thingy. She enjoys reading books by Enid Blytons, Roald dahl, Sid Fleischman, Lois and even Baby sitter club and Mary Kate n Asley stuffs. Are you able to recommend books that "have contents filled with 'émotions', about life challenges and suitable for her leisure readings. I am running out of relevant titles because I am not really one avid reader.. :?: BTW, if these books are available in our national library, it will be wonderful. Thanks for helping.

moirwong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tisha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:53 pm

My suggestions:
Harry Potter series (If she has not already read)
Books by Rudyard Kippling - e.g. Jungle Book ( I still love reading it :oops: )

How about classics like
The secret garden
The railway children
Little Women

All these are available in our national library.

Will suggest more titles when I can think of some.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby plum-cake » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Paint the world by Pam Munoz Ryan
In Grandmother's house in California, Maya's every word and action are strictly monitored, and even Maya's memories of her mother have been erased.
In the rugged Wyoming wilderness, a Tobiano Paint horse called Artemisia runs free. She embodies the spirit of the wild — and she holds the key to Maya's memories, in this epic novel.

Out of the Dust By Karen Hesse
A poem cycle that reads as a novel, Out of the Dust tells the story of a girl named Billie Jo, who struggles to help her family survive the dust-bowl years of the Depression. Fighting against the elements on her Oklahoma farm, Billie Jo takes on even more responsibilities when her mother dies in a tragic accident. A testament to the American spirit, this novel is an instant classic.

Books by ann m.martin
1.Here Today
2.Belle Teal
3.A Corner of the Universe

Call Me Maria By Judith Ortiz Cofer
Marí­a is a girl caught between two worlds: Puerto Rico, where she was born, and her new home, New York. As she struggles to lose her island accent, Marí­a does her best to find her place within the unfamiliar culture of the barrio. With the Spanglish of the barrio people ringing in her ears, she finds the poet within herself.

When She Was Good
Author: Norma Fox Mazer
At the beginning of this startling, heartbreaking, and ultimately uplifting novel, a young woman named Pamela lies dead on the living room floor, with her younger sister, Em, wondering if she's responsible. Is she? How did Em get to this point in her life? How did she survive? The answers are revealed in the direct, open, and remarkably hopeful voice of a teenage girl whose basically sunny disposition outlives some of the darkest circumstances imaginable.
The ups and downs of the sisters' life on their own is chronicled with humor, pathos, and unflinching honesty; from the moment Pamela's anger first turns to physical violence, to Em's triumphant reconnections to people and things in the world outside their apartment.

Always There
Author: Lauren Brooke
As Amy prepares to leave Heartland for college, a new horse arrives at Heartland, but no one wants to tell her the background of this horse.

Coming Home
Amy calls Heartland home, and ever since she can remember, she's watched her mom instill trust and hope in horses that were once fierce and afraid. But then a tragic accident changes everything . . .

Darkest Hour
Amidst stifling summer heat and Ben and Ty's arguments, Amy and Ty struggle to save their horses from an equine flu that has infected Heartland.

My Thirteenth Winter
Author: Samantha Abeel
Samantha Abeel was diagnosed with a learning disability. Slowly, Samantha's life began to change — and she discovers that she is stronger than she'd ever thought possible.

http://jefferson.lib.co.us/pdf/teen_classics.pdf
http://info.infosoup.org/lists/ClassicsForTeens.asp

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: please recommend English fiction books

Postby cnimed » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:14 am

moirwong wrote:She is a primary 6 avid reader. Loves fiction stories and ballet thingy. She enjoys reading books by Enid Blytons, Roald dahl, Sid Fleischman, Lois and even Baby sitter club and Mary Kate n Asley stuffs. Are you able to recommend books that "have contents filled with 'émotions', about life challenges and suitable for her leisure readings. I am running out of relevant titles because I am not really one avid reader.. :?: BTW, if these books are available in our national library, it will be wonderful. Thanks for helping.

I presume she has already read Ballet Shoes series by Noel Streatfeild?
Others along similar vein:
A Little Princess (unabridged version) - frances hodgson Burnett (a more mature read than The Secret Garden)
Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder (semi-autobiographical, describes not only the life, joys on the prairie but also poverty e.g. during one hard winter they were so desperately cold they burned straw to keep the stove going.)

More recent books:
The Giver - Lois Lowry (bittersweet, be warned. Controversial but I think suitable for the more matured teenage reader.)
I Am David - Ann Holm (about a boy who was raised in prison and manages to escape, received many good reviews. Also published under the title North to Freedom)

I also like the Dark Materials series but it falls more in the fantasy category, though it is not lacking in depth and emotions. :) By Philip Pullman. (the books are much better than the movie)

...hm, she also likes Roald Dahl. She might like the Mysterious Benedict Society series. These are fun light reads.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smartmummy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 am

Hi all!
My son in P5.Please recommend fiction and non-fiction books.Thanks.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 am

You can try Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - a trilogy by Michelle Paver. This series is set in the Stone Age and the protagonist is a 12 yr old boy. I like the fact that the author really researched into various aspects of the story - how people lived in those days, the things they used, wolf colonies etc. The series has been noted for its attention to accurate details.

Sherlock Holmes is always enjoyable too.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support