Challenging Maths by Ammiel Wan - which grades?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Challenging Maths by Ammiel Wan - which grades?

Postby nansk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi,

We got the book "Challenging Maths Problems Made Easy by Ammiel Wan" based on recommendations on this forum. The book is good, of course, but we cannot see any grade-level indicators for the problems in this book.

Earlier we had bought the "Singapore Model Method" book, which indicates the grade (Pri 3/4/5) for each problem explained in the book.

What grades is "Challenging Maths Problems Made Easy by Ammiel Wan" suitable for? Or, if someone has written up a correlation of each chapter/problem with Primary grades, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Challenging Maths by Ammiel Wan - which grades?

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm

nansk wrote:Hi,

We got the book "Challenging Maths Problems Made Easy by Ammiel Wan" based on recommendations on this forum. The book is good, of course, but we cannot see any grade-level indicators for the problems in this book.

What grades is "Challenging Maths Problems Made Easy by Ammiel Wan" suitable for? Or, if someone has written up a correlation of each chapter/problem with Primary grades, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I just bought the onsponge conquer problem sums by Ammiel Wan/Corine Quek/Chris Rogers. The one I got for my son is for P5.
http://www.onsponge.com/shop/thinkingmathshop.html

Saw the title you mentioned but there is no mention of level. However, I saw this book in the P5 section at Popular.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MoonFlower » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm

This book is pretty challengin, i ever check w ds's teacher more for p6. but i feel p5,p6 almost the same.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:40 pm

MoonFlower wrote:This book is pretty challengin, i ever check w ds's teacher more for p6. but i feel p5,p6 almost the same.

This book is more suitable for P5/6.
Like what other parents informed me, P5 and P6 is pretty much the same...P5 is preparation for PSLE while P6 is the REAL thing.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:26 pm

This is one of the books we used last year during P5. So far only chapter 11.2 (speed) is more useful for P6. The rest can be used for P5.
We refer this book if encouter probelm when attempt to those P5 as well as P6 past year question.

Hope this information usefull.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Thank you!

Postby nansk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I suppose most problems are appropriate for P5 and P6, since they use ratios and percentages.

I am working through the problems presently (to prepare myself for teaching my dd) and honestly, the repeating pattern of the problems (in each section) makes it rather plodding work for me :-P But, I imagine, for a 10-year-old who needs lots of practice, this book is just the thing.

And you are right about P5 and P6; I have heard that from other parents as well, that P5 and P6 are part 1 and part 2 prep for PSLE :-)

Thanks again for writing.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Thank you!

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

nansk wrote:Thank you to everyone for your replies. I suppose most problems are appropriate for P5 and P6, since they use ratios and percentages.

I am working through the problems presently (to prepare myself for teaching my dd) and honestly, the repeating pattern of the problems (in each section) makes it rather plodding work for me :-P But, I imagine, for a 10-year-old who needs lots of practice, this book is just the thing.

And you are right about P5 and P6; I have heard that from other parents as well, that P5 and P6 are part 1 and part 2 prep for PSLE :-)

Thanks again for writing.

Ratio is in Maths 'A' textbook...Percentages should be in 'B' textbook.
Not possible for a P4 to attempt using the book.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nansk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Ratio is in Maths 'A' textbook...Percentages should be in 'B' textbook.

Thanks! I assume you mean P5 A and B textbooks.

BTW on a related note, those of you who have used these books, is the "Branch Method" taught in this book accepted as the right way to solve problems? Or do teachers insist on the "Model Method"?

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 am

nansk wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:Ratio is in Maths 'A' textbook...Percentages should be in 'B' textbook.

BTW on a related note, those of you who have used these books, is the "Branch Method" taught in this book accepted as the right way to solve problems? Or do teachers insist on the "Model Method"?

Yes, I was referring to textbook A and B. Son's school just switched to 'My Pals' this year from Shaping Maths. A friend advised me to get the 'accompanying' Math assessment book for Shaping Maths...who would have expected school to switch publisher. :cry:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:54 am

nansk wrote:

Yes. The branching method is acceptable. The child can choose either method.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support