Share with u after school

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Share with u after school

Postby Addoil » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi all

Is your kids will tell u what happened during the day? when u r asking them the qn like : what had u done today? what teacher teach u today? etc. Will them start to tell u some story during the day?

My little one, when I ask him, wat teacher teach u today? He said," today teacher do not teach anything le" then I ask him "what had u done today?" Today do not do anything le" :x

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phantom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Same here, when I ask my kid what he learn, he say nothing. Then sometime he will hum some Chinese song and he will tell me his teacher teach him :? Seems like he don't know how to answer me when I ask him generically :cry:

phantom
Site Admin

Postby wiimum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:18 pm

it seems that is the standard answer from boys.
If I ask: " what did you learn in school today" answer : nothing
"what did you do in school today?" ans: nothing much

Perhaps you can rephrase your question: what was most interesting in school? or any "funny" happenings in school? My son would gladly answer to that.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:38 pm

My DD will gladly tell us what happens at school daily. After I pick her up from my mom (who picks her up from after school care and gives her dinner), we will walk home. During the walk, she may ask (i.e., demand) me to ask her questions about school so that she can answer. :lol:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:57 pm

This reminds me of a funny situation.

When I picked my DD after her chinese enrichment class, i somehow noticed one daddy always asked his son "what do you learned in the class?". The answer was always "I learned nothing" and then the son just keep walking. One day, the son was fast enough to tell the daddy "I didn't learn anything" before the daddy can open his mouth.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Instead of asking 'what' questions.... why not try asking "how' questions like "How is your day?" "How did it go today?" " How are you feeling today?" "Did you have fun today?" -- try not to ask about work.... and give them a hug first....

I usually give some waiting time and try not to probe if they are not ready to answer.... they may not answer at that moment but usually after dinner or before bedtime (when they are more relaxed), they will tell you everything....it works for my hub too....otherwise you either get one-word answer or no answer at all....

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:32 pm

KSP wrote:This reminds me of a funny situation.

When I picked my DD after her chinese enrichment class, i somehow noticed one daddy always asked his son "what do you learned in the class?". The answer was always "I learned nothing" and then the son just keep walking. One day, the son was fast enough to tell the daddy "I didn't learn anything" before the daddy can open his mouth.

Being the principle financiers, we daddies have to be constantly monitoring the ROI of our investments. It's not different from how we ask our staff: "How much sales have you generated today?" or "How many new features have you implemented for my million-dollar software?" Unfortunately, while we can fire our staff, we cannot fire our children when they don't deliver. That's why heart-attack rates are going up in our society :wink:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby fattyboy02 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:03 pm

same here,
Asked my boy "wat did u do in class today ?" he replied "nothing".
Asked him "how's class today", he answered "fine" *faint*

fattyboy02
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mom2boys » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:07 pm

i guess not every questions works on my K1 son...

After work, the moment I walked into the house, will ask 'how's your day? happy?' no answer, but asked me back 'why u come back late again?' :shock: instead of answering me, i've to report back to my son then he will then happily say today I've love my school...

next day morning, preparing to go to school :'mommy, i dun like school!!! :x

mom2boys
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:15 pm

wiimum wrote:it seems that is the standard answer from boys.

Totally agree! I mentioned it to my boy's K2 teacher last year and she suggested asking specific questions instead of general questions as she reckon the kid doesn't know what to say so said 'nothing'.

My list of 'specifc' questions includes (but not limiting to):
1) did you do any writing today?
2) did teacher read any story books today?
3) did anything funny happen in school today?
4) what did you eat for recess?
5) did you have go for a stroll after that or go back to the hall?
6) did teachers ask you to help around the class?
7) what did you do/teacher teach during _____ lesson?
etc etc.

Else, he hardly tells me anything and just ask me.."what do you want to know". :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support