Latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singapore

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singapore

Postby jemlth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I am sure we have learnt of the latest revamp in the MTL exam format and teaching methods released over the news last night and on front page in ST and 联合早报 this morning. "Proficiency descriptors" seems to be the buzz phrase this year. For the benefit of all parents here, I am attempting to summarise the key changes here.

The guiding principle is to allow students to actively use what they learn in the classroom as opposed to learning it for purely academic purposes. Hence, the focus is on real-life usage.

Sources: ST, 联合早报 andhttp://www.channelnewsasia.com. There is also an official release on MOE's website and again full details are there as well http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2011/01/enhancing-the-teaching-and-testing-of-mtl.php

1. More emphasis on interaction skills, both written and oral
a. Videos will be used in oral exams where students will have to describe and be prompted from what they see, rather than describe a printed picture.

b. New PSLE questions based on context will be tested. I.e. test students' response to a specific scenario by offering MCQ options. E.g. Qns - Based on the above scenario, what will your response/reply be? Pls refer to http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/files/2011/annex-b-mtl-review.pdf for sample question.

c. New or modified items testing interaction skills will take up 20% of the PSLE exam from 2017.

2. Greater use of IT
a. New exam items like writing an email will be included (only at sec school). Writing of MT characters is still emphasized in pri schools. Keyboarding will not replace the whole exam; It will be an added component.

b. Expansion of usage for e-dictionaries

3. Timeline of changes
a. Changes will take place progressively from 2011 to 2017.

b. Video-Oral component in PSLE will only be used in 2017 PSLE. But this element will be introduced in school curriculum before 2017 to prepare students for it. (This means next year's P1 batch will take the new PSLE format in 2017)

4. Boost to HMTL
a. MOE will roll out translation courses in JCs from 2015 for those with higher learning ability in Chinese.

5. Proficiency Descriptors (This is only given in full detail in 联合早报, for the Eng version, pls refer to this link - http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/files/2011/annex-a-mtl-review.pdf

jemlth
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 pm

I found the example they gave that is published in today's Straits Times, too simple. I thought the lower primary are already being tested with that level of difficulties.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Brenda10 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:59 pm

tankee wrote:I found the example they gave that is published in today's Straits Times, too simple. I thought the lower primary are already being tested with that level of difficulties.

Yes, I also find that it is very much easier than the P6 paper now and the standard look more for lower primary.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Brenda10 wrote:
tankee wrote:I found the example they gave that is published in today's Straits Times, too simple. I thought the lower primary are already being tested with that level of difficulties.

Yes, I also find that it is very much easier than the P6 paper now and the standard look more for lower primary.

The sample of PSLE:
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/files ... review.pdf

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby koguma » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm

You may find it simple. But for those Parents and Kids who don't like Chinese, they will still find it difficult.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Is the latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singapore more difficult or easier for our students?

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy of 2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm

KSP wrote:Is the latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singapore more difficult or easier for our students?

My personal take is that it will be easier for kids who can speak fluently in MT.

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 pm

mummy of 2 wrote:
KSP wrote:Is the latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singapore more difficult or easier for our students?

My personal take is that it will be easier for kids who can speak fluently in MT.

So does that mean the standard is lowered?

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy of 2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm

KSP wrote:
mummy of 2 wrote:

Think hard to say as some kids can read MT but may not be so fluent in the spoken language whereas some can speak well but may not be able to read or write as well.
One thing i think parents should note is that we are encouraged to provide a home environment conducive to speaking MT.

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jemlth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Mummy of 2, I agree with you that MOE is trying to encourage more speaking of Chinese at home. It is the best environment where children can speak without fear of bring laughed at. But the issue is a lot of parents find it difficult to hold a decent conversation in Chinese. That is a real problem. Perhaps parents should sign up for enrichment classes! Haha.

mummy of 2 wrote:
KSP wrote:
mummy of 2 wrote:

Think hard to say as some kids can read MT but may not be so fluent in the spoken language whereas some can speak well but may not be able to read or write as well.
One thing i think parents should note is that we are encouraged to provide a home environment conducive to speaking MT.

jemlth
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support