LEARNConcierge

Latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singapore

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Postby mummy of 2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:47 pm

If the parents are not conversant in MT then can't blame them for not using the language with their kids. What puzzles me are those parents who can converse in MT yet insist on speaking only english at home.

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jemlth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 pm

I think it is about a consistency in effort. I am actually very impressed with parents who try to do the daddy-speaks-Chinese-and-mummy-speaks-English thing. Very commendable.

mummy of 2 wrote:If the parents are not conversant in MT then can't blame them for not using the language with their kids. What puzzles me are those parents who can converse in MT yet insist on speaking only english at home.

jemlth
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phankao » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:42 am

koguma wrote:
tankee wrote:I found the example they gave that is published in today's Straits Times, too simple. I thought the lower primary are already being tested with that level of difficulties.

You may find it simple. But for those Parents and Kids who don't like Chinese, they will still find it difficult.

Easier - so what? It's still T-score. Which means if everyone finds it easier.....then scores won't be so high? ;(

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:56 am

phankao wrote:Easier - so what? It's still T-score. Which means if everyone finds it easier.....then scores won't be so high? ;(

You've a point. In this then the initial objective that brought up last year in MT has achieved.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 am

Brenda10 wrote:You've a point. In this then the initial objective that brought up last year in MT has achieved.

But at least maybe the phobia for MTL might be lessened?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:34 am

phankao wrote:But at least maybe the phobia for MTL might be lessened?

Yes. I do agree that it will definitely lessen the phobia toward MT if we compare those sample vs the 2010 P6 test papers that the children are working on.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jemlth » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

But it's only an additional component isn't it? I don't get the impression that they are doing away with the 2 back-to-back comprehension passages (killer).

Brenda10 wrote:
phankao wrote:But at least maybe the phobia for MTL might be lessened?

Yes. I do agree that it will definitely lessen the phobia toward MT if we compare those sample vs the 2010 P6 test papers that the children are working on.

jemlth
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singap

Postby kctan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi. I think there is a lack of materials out there to show how the new oral exam video format looks like. I saw some samples on this website. You can check out the oral exam video samples.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

kctan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Latest MTL changes in exam format and teaching in Singap

Postby mylulaoshi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm

kctan wrote:Hi. I think there is a lack of materials out there to show how the new oral exam video format looks like. I saw some samples on this website. You can check out the oral exam video samples.

Thanks for sharing. More companies are producing these Videos. They come in book form at Popular Bookstores. There is a flat USB drive attached inside which contains many videos.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge