School timetable

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

School timetable

Postby clueless » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:06 am

I am concern about how effective is learning after looking at my P1 son's timetable this week.

All core subjects are broken into separate half hour session every day.
Eg. On fri starts 1/2 hr Math, 1/2hr English, 90 mins Chinese, recess, 1/2hr English, 1/2hr PE, 1hr English then back to 1/2hr Math. And

Tue: 12pm - Math
12.30 - Chinese
1 pm - Math
1.30 - Chinese again.

I can visualise teacher rush in, class settle down, teach for 20 mins then prepares to rush to another class. comes back later trying to recap where she left.

While I cannot imagine how the teacher can teach effectively under stress for time, I am also worried if the child can 'connect' what is taught between breaks. Isn't it also a waste of time 'running' between classes.

Any parent out there with similar scenario?

clueless
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tisha » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:33 am

I don't have a similar scenario, but just some commets.
Maths and chinese looks too jumbled up indeed. Especially since the other students taking malay/tamil need to move to a different class room for the lessons. Or are all the chinise MT students in the same class?
Is the same teacher teaching chinese and maths? In that case no need to worry as the teacher will have the flexibilty to conduct lessons for each subject without scrictly sticking to the time table. For my DS case who is in P6, science and english is taught by the same teacher, so she is flexible when ever there is sc and el back to back in the timetable.
Better to check with parents of ur child's classmates and get to know how they see it.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clueless » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Chinese and math are different teachers.

You raised a point about MT. If the majority of Chinese students stays in class, I don't know how are the other MT classmates move around.

clueless
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support