P1 having problem to learn spelling and tingxie

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

P1 having problem to learn spelling and tingxie

Postby coolbaby » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:02 am

My son has been learning phonics since N2 in his childcare. He started with simple spelling from K1 (3 letters words) till more difficult ones (like electricity, Australia... etc) in K2.

In fact, K2 spelling are more difficult than his current P1 words.

But since K1 when they started to move from 3 to 4 letters word spelling and also a long break due to HFMD, he seems to have problem spelling them. So we started to have problem getting him to learn his spelling. In fact, in K2 he has dictation too but he didn't do it cos we already had problem getting him to learn spelling.

While he was N1/N2, I heard many mums commented the importance of learning phonic cos it can help you in your reading and also spelling. But I don't understand why my son couldn't do it, esp when it comes to spelling!

For example the 2 recent spelling words - went and animals. I don't know why he always spelled "went" as "want". While revising, many times he spelled as "want" but he corrected himself before I could tell him. Then we teach him the words "animals" by breaking up a-ni-mals. I asked him how to spell "ni" and "mals" he couldn't do it :( same thing again, he will spell wrongly and then correct himself again. But I dont know why during the spelling test, he spelled "want" and "animls" :(

Same for tingxie, he can't pin "he" (meaning "and") when I test him he will say "ha". Worst is that we when we try to correct him, he will whine and cry.

hb and I are quite lost what to do and how to help him. Many times I said I want to give up but in the end I still try to help him and yet many times he ends up whining and crying... I'm soooo tired.

Many times I wonder whether he has learning problem. I wish someone can tell me what to do and also help me with his whining, crying and throwing tantrum... sigh....

sorry for the long story... and thank you for hearing me and your advice...

coolbaby
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:01 am

Coolbaby,

You are not alone. We all have our fair share of frustration when it comes to teaching the kids. I had to deal with a P2 who cried for 1 hour (nonstop!!!) just becoz I asked her to do 1 page of maths assessment exercise. I cut down from 3 to 1. Frankly I am still fuming mad with her.

Also, I observed my P1's temperant is more irregular recently. Not sure if he just recovered from his sickness as he was out of school for fever and vomit 3 days after CNY. He tends to throw temper. If we say no to something, he would say "why everything no, this and that all no" and he would be very angry and grouchy after that.

For spelling, have you tried getting him to write those words in the exercise book? Eg. write 15 times. Another technique that I use is consistently revise the spelling with my P1 son. Eg. I will teach him the week before but every nite, I would give him a spelling test. It gets faster each time when he knows the words (eg. not more than 10 mins).

Usually I start with phonics breakdown, if he grasps it, then I will test him. If he don't, I will get him to practise writing the words. Also, I make sure he does the test by writing down iso just verbally spelling it. Sometimes what they write and what they say is different.

FYI, we used to struggle alot with my son when he was in K2 even though he has been learning phonics since K1 as a enrichment prog. I feel alot depends on their level of phonics knowledge. I observed that his phonics knowledge improved alot after completing his intensive advanced phonics classes during Dec hols. Maybe it's also a readiness thng but that help to improve reading and spelling.

Every child is diff but I observed that my boy is indeed slower than my girl. Since they are only 11 months apart, it easy for us to "make the comparison" as memory is fresh. Maybe, boys being boys are just slower in the initial period. Though there are some boys who are really good. Eg. the no. 1 student in my girl's P1 class was a boy.

Meanwhile for tingxie, I bought those hypy (I assume it's hypy for you at this point) charts from popular. Seng mu and yun mu. Then I try to get him to blend the 2 together when I read out a word. Eg. Pai. He should know it's a combination of "p" and "ai". But to do that, they must have a good knowledge of the sounds.

Would suggest that you try different methods at your end based on your understanding of your child. If you are still concern, maybe speak to his teachers about it and get them to observe as well. With their experience, they probably can tell if it's normal or not. I think schools also have learning support program for kids who are having issues coping. Eg. in my kids' school if they are not coping well in class, can't read or get poor spelling/ hypy test results, the teachers will get them to attend the remedial lessons.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mami_Jazz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 am

i guess my P1 boy's english level is equivalent to those "well-prepared"K1 kids. Till now, he still can't read a pre-sch story book all by himself ...
he was terrified by the spelling list given by the sch on the 2nd week.

Initially, he cant spell words like pig, cow. mud ...and was stressed by the more difficult words like "mountains", "people" "crane" ....
what i did was to teach him ONE word at a time/ a day ...and start with the difficult one, once he can spell the difficult ones will boost his confident with the subsequent simpler words ..

So far he has done 2 spelling in school, and i'm happy with the results.
However, next week spelling are more difficult eg. aeroplane, umbrella ...
more challenging for me :(

Mami_Jazz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Addoil » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi
We all have our own challange, and we are not alone, at least here we can de-stress a bit.... keep it up, all mummies at KSP forum.
Add oil :D

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Mami_Jazz wrote:Initially, he cant spell words like pig, cow. mud ...and was stressed by the more difficult words like "mountains", "people" "crane"

Mami Jazz, I PMed you. Sorry, I posted here cos the PM alert/pop-up window isn't working.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mami_Jazz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:32 pm

schellen wrote:
Mami_Jazz wrote:Initially, he cant spell words like pig, cow. mud ...and was stressed by the more difficult words like "mountains", "people" "crane"

Mami Jazz, I PMed you. Sorry, I posted here cos the PM alert/pop-up window isn't working.

:roll: Hi hi Schellen, i dun recd any sms lei ....
:?

Mami_Jazz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Mami_Jazz wrote:Initially, he cant spell words like pig, cow. mud ...and was stressed by the more difficult words like "mountains", "people" "crane" ....
what i did was to teach him ONE word at a time/ a day ...and start with the difficult one, once he can spell the difficult ones will boost his confident with the subsequent simpler words ..
(

The thing with kids who think they can't spell is that they are more careful.
The thing with kids who think that spelling is easy is that they are careless :P

All is not lost. It is afterall only spelling tests.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sashimi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Not sms - PM. Go to the top of this page and click on the link that says "You have no new messages" - don't bother what it says, it doesn't seem to work in some cases. You should get a new window with your personal messages.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mami_Jazz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:03 pm

sashimi wrote:Not sms - PM. Go to the top of this page and click on the link that says "You have no new messages" - don't bother what it says, it doesn't seem to work in some cases. You should get a new window with your personal messages.

i'v got it. Thx :D

Mami_Jazz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mami_Jazz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 pm

jedamum wrote:
Mami_Jazz wrote:Initially, he cant spell words like pig, cow. mud ...and was stressed by the more difficult words like "mountains", "people" "crane" ....
(

The thing with kids who think they can't spell is that they are more careful.
The thing with kids who think that spelling is easy is that they are careless :P

All is not lost. It is afterall only spelling tests.

the most impt thg is the kid has to be Kiasu and not the parents :lol: :lol:

Mami_Jazz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support