All About CCA

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

CCA

Postby allamanda » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi parents

My girl has just started her GEP in NYPS this year, as she is new to the school, she has to sign up a CCA. She wish to continue her chinese orchestra (since P1 to P3 in her previous sch, ever took part in SYF<silver> and International Arts Festival competition<gold>). She has a high chance of getting into NYPS sch team. Due to long travelling distance (tampines ~ bukit timah) and logistic problem, I am thinking of letting her choose another CCA end at 4pm whereby she can still catch the last school bus back home. As for orchestra, practices end at 5pm twice a week.

Is CCA important for GEP students? I heard they usually based on results/interviews/portfolios to apply for DSA.

Need your advices urgently as she has to decide/register her CCA on 6 Jan.
allamanda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

All About CCA

Postby hardworking_mom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Original Title: CCA - Boy Scouts

Hi,

Ds has not joined any CCA yet. His school does not seem to have a lot of CCA available. And those popular ones even need to be 'selected' before one can go in. I found that boy scouts is available. Wonder if parents have good/bad experience when they children join scouts? thanks...

hardworking_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm

so boy scouts are not popular?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby hardworking_mom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:28 pm

No idea. The so called 'popular' ones are those that the school win in competition, so everybody wants to join in. e.g. hockey, rubgy, angklung, etc. Boys scouts any competition to win? :?

hardworking_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tisha » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm

hardworking_mom wrote:No idea. The so called 'popular' ones are those that the school win in competition, so everybody wants to join in. e.g. hockey, rubgy, angklung, etc. Boys scouts any competition to win? :?

My DS's CCA is scouts. No competions as such. So if you are thinking in terms of DSA, it won't be very useful, I guess. I see it more as an all-rounded development, as they have variety of activities. They do have to perform some tasks to win badges. But not in terms of interschool comepetion or so. More of personal achievement. It is something he is enjoying though. BTW, he is not the sporty type. Initially, even though he had joined for football and wushu, he dropped out of it on his own accord.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:39 pm

So DSA eligibility determine the popularity of CCA, how practical.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby pinkie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Maybe not DSA but can try gaining entry if the child misses out a few marks & the sec sch that he wants is strong in BS. This is what I was told from a personal experience of a school teacher.

But I did not encourage my ds to join because of this. We find this BS is an all-rounded CCA, more for character & personality building. He will also get a chance to try many different activities such as Archery, Track & Fields, etc as well as learn how to take care of himself without us around during overnight camps & overseas excursions even from P3.

He will also learn how to be more disciplined as well as how to work as a team and eventually building strong bonding with his own peers.

We also hope that he will continue this CCA all the way to Sec sch.

Cheers!

pinkie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ascklee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:58 am

The skills one learns in Boy Scouts like knots, basic survival skills, camping, setting up a campfire, etc., is also very practical, and usually come in at some point or other.

CKLee
For free additional mathematics materials, visit http://xxxxx

ascklee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Flipper123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Boy scouts is fun . It also enhances a boy's confidence and there are alot of activities in boy scouts for your boy to try like fencing etc. :lol:

Flipper123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About CCA

Postby alisa_lim » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:26 am

Why cant u just let ur child decide what he/ she likes. Enough stress from academic, for once, at least let them decide what they like. Encourage them and allow them to have some breathing space.

alisa_lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support