LEARNConcierge

All About CCA

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: All About CCA

Postby Funz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes it is unfortunate that schools are unable to accommodate all the kids who are interested in a particular CCA or do not offer certain CCAs because it is not their niche. Fact is there are resource limitation and that requires them to limit the numbers they take for each CCA and also the variety of CCAs that they can offer. But I do feel bad for the kid if the school offers that particular CCA which is his interest but his parents forbid him to choose that for fear that it will take away his time for studying even before giving the kid a chance to try to manage it.

I am not saying that CCA is the only avenue to learn soft skills nor that it is the only thing the kids learn. Just saying that it is an opportunity to learn things beyond what is taught in the classroom.

Oh well, to each his own. :shrug:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby momkiasu » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:51 am

Hello there. CCAs will be an important part of your child's school life. It will be where they find their interest and also joy in life. Allowing them to choose their own CCAs is very important as school work can be very demanding and they need a channel for them to relieve stress in. My girl love sports, I would encourage her to do whichever sports she likes as long as I know that she is safe and sound. She enjoys playing basketball and netball which I will fully support her in as I could see how happy she is everytime she comes home from training even though its very tiring for her.

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm

CCAs are not so important in Primary School compared to Secondary School n JC.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby allabouthomework » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Some CCAs may become useful than others because if your child gets to excel in it, they may be able to rely on their cca to get into their desired schools through DSA.

allabouthomework
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lee_yl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:10 pm

allabouthomework wrote:Some CCAs may become useful than others because if your child gets to excel in it, they may be able to rely on their cca to get into their desired schools through DSA.

Thanks to DSA, the nature of CCA has changed and not for the better.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:16 pm

lee_yl wrote:
allabouthomework wrote:Some CCAs may become useful than others because if your child gets to excel in it, they may be able to rely on their cca to get into their desired schools through DSA.

I agree wholeheartedly.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:01 am

CCA is not compulsory in primary schools. Can opt out

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:22 am

zbear wrote:
lee_yl wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.

While CCAs can help with entry to secondary school that should not be the motivation for choosing it and it should be remembered that if you enter secondary school under DSA you are expected to pursue that sport/activity all the way through secondary school.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby zbear » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:57 am

nms1 wrote:
While CCAs can help with entry to secondary school that should not be the motivation for choosing it and it should be remembered that if you enter secondary school under DSA you are expected to pursue that sport/activity all the way through secondary school.

Precisely, that is why I say CCA in Primary School is not important, best to focus on your academic subjects n get a good T score.

Many parents are not aware or refuse to accept that DSA via sports into top IP schools demand a lot from the students as they are expected to commit more time than others to their CCA n still do well in their studies. It's so stressful and tiring, what if the child is not strong academically? Can he cope?

I would rather build my academic foundation n good study habits at Primary School level, get into my preferred school if my T score permits and then distribute out my time to concentrate on non academic aspects of my Sec School life as I know I can manage my time equally.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:03 pm

Adding on to my earlier post, I know of one case - student DSA into HCI via sport. His L1R5 is double digit n HCI COP is a single digit, there is a huge difference in his L1R5 n HCI' s COP. He is accepted n he is taking 4H2 subjects n MT on top of his commitment to this CCA.

I feel his parents are sending the child on a suicide mission.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge