LEARNConcierge

All About CCA

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: All About CCA

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:47 pm

zbear wrote:Adding on to my earlier post, I know of one case - student DSA into HCI via sport. His L1R5 is double digit n HCI COP is a single digit, there is a huge difference in his L1R5 n HCI' s COP. He is accepted n he is taking 4H2 subjects n MT on top of his commitment to this CCA.

I feel his parents are sending the child on a suicide mission.

I presume they go in with eyes wide open, so nobody to blame?

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
zbear wrote:Adding on to my earlier post, I know of one case - student DSA into HCI via sport. His L1R5 is double digit n HCI COP is a single digit, there is a huge difference in his L1R5 n HCI' s COP. He is accepted n he is taking 4H2 subjects n MT on top of his commitment to this CCA.

I feel his parents are sending the child on a suicide mission.

I presume they go in with eyes wide open, so nobody to blame?

Yeah, DSA at your own risk...only you know your own threshold... :xedfingers:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:12 pm

sleepy wrote:CCA is not compulsory in primary schools. Can opt out

We considered it free enrichment. :P

Anyway, if my kids didn't have cca, then they will probably be wasting their time away at home

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

Anyway, if my kids didn't have cca, then they will probably be wasting their time away at home

Free enrichment and babysitting.
Otherwise, they will fight and squabble at home. Or they will play computer games. More enriching to stay in school and learn new things. Best a different activity each day until the milestone exams year. Then make it remedial lessons daily, with option to opt out.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:55 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

Otherwise, they will fight and squabble at home. Or they will play computer games. More enriching to stay in school and learn new things. Best a different activity each day until the milestone exams year. Then make it remedial lessons daily, with option to opt out.

Some kids have that spare capacity and energy. I have 1 kid who was like that - we needed to fill her time! The other one was not coping so well with the basic work already, so we tried not to load her unnecessarily.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:12 pm

You are right!

I even have round 3 - swimming, tennis and swimming, on some days. And I consider myself as pretty slack. :evil:

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

Agreed with NBM and CKR on the free enrichment benefits and priceless friendships and soft skills acquired. I find CCA rather useful...it allows my boy to spend his weekday afternoons constructively, to befriend many seniors as well as like-minded peers from other classes. It makes the child more independent, i.e. for those who need to take CCA bus on their own, and buy lunch themselves. I rem enjoying every CCA I had in Pri + Sec School + JC. I really looked fwd to Saturday mornings, inter-school sports competitions, overnight camps during the hols, and some NDP + SYF commitments! But that said, maybe our school workload wasn't as heavy during our time, and we did not have many paid enrichment progs available in those days. Life was really carefree... :imcool:
Last edited by jetsetter on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:39 pm

I personally find that my kids learn to work smarter when they have to balance the load and time conflicts. I know they may not finish all their homework every day and will need to seek help from friends to "finetune" it before submission.

To me, managing time and priority conflict is a very important skill, especially in the working world. This is just part of the training for them. After all, there is no such thing as too much work in the working world. Everything should ideally be completed yesterday. :wink:

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

Your kids no need to stay back in school? No supplementary, RS or IVP, etc?

My kids already staying back twice to thrice a week in school, ocassionally up to 4 afternoons in school. if sign up for CCA means another extra day in school.
Like that whole week camp in school liao :yikes:

Rest time very important for children leh. Need to be in bed by 9:30pm
So I have to say no to CCA.

Other interests can purse outside school hours. Much more flexible in terms of timing. Unlike CCA is a fixed commitment to stay back in school every week. Say for example piano lesson is up to me to schedule and reschedule. I can allow her to take a week or 2 off or even the whole month off. But CCA cannot suka suka take off hor

The above is in primary school context. I have to look at their schedule to ensure sufficient rest time. Cannot overload them wah

Of course my dd1 has a CCA now that she's in secondary school. She represents her school for competitions. Besides training during her CCA hours, she also attended external lessons (my cost hor :moneyflies: ) and practice during her spare time to hone her skills. She has wonderful seniors to guide her too. The official commitment for CCA is twice a week and she doesn't need to stay back in the afternoon for other stuff except CCA. Don't ask me why secondary school more eng than primary school :lol:

I'm not saying CCA is not good. But since it is not compulsory yet in primary school so at least I have a choice whether to sign up. And I feel that there's no big hurry. Do whatever I deem appropriate lor :cool:
Last edited by sleepy on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:13 pm

sleepy wrote:
Your kids no need to stay back in school? No supplementary, RS or IVP?

My kids already staying back twice to thrice a week in school, ocassionally up to 4 afternoons in school. if sign up for CCA means another extra day in school. Like that whole week camp in school liao. Skali burn out how? Rest time very important for children leh. Need to be in bed by 9:30pm
So I have to say no to CCA.

Other interests can purse outside school hours. Much more flexible in terms of timing. Unlike CCA is a fixed commitment to stay back in school every week.
Say for example piano lesson is up to me to schedule and reschedule. I can allow her to take a week or 2 off or even the whole month off. But CCA cannot suka suka take off hor

This above is in primary school context. Must look at their schedule in make sure sufficient rest time la. Cannot overload them.

Of course my dd1 has a CCA now that she's in secondary school. She represents her school for competitions. Besides training during her CCA hours, she also attended external lessons (my cost hor :moneyflies: ) and practice during her spare time to hone her skills. She has wonderful seniors to guide her too.

Gotta stay back. Cca will take up two days until competition over. But ok leh...donch remember having a lot of homework (maybe it's just their schools)...only needed to chiong hw occasionally.

Cca was very much part of their lives...their schools encourage it from p1 onwards...even now at Y6, my boy still continues...he's not enthu...but nebber complains about needing to stay back.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge