LEARNConcierge

All About CCA

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: All About CCA

Postby sleepy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Gotta stay back. Cca will take up two days until competition over. But ok leh...donch remember having a lot of homework (maybe it's just their schools)...only needed to chiong hw occasionally.

Cca was very much part of their lives...their schools encourage it from p1 onwards...even now at Y6, my boy still continues...he's not enthu...but nebber complains about needing to stay back.

My dd is very enthu about her CCA. Her seniors are super nice too so that makes her CCA even more enjoyable. The twice a week CCA commitment is fixed even though competitions only take place during first half of the year. So 2nd half of the year is basically training to hone skills for following year competitions.

And surprisingly this CCA is not even her first choice. She didn't get into her first choice CCA last year and was so disappointed. Early this year, students were allowed to switch CCAs so theoretically my dd could try applying for her first choice again. But she said that she loves her current CCA so won't be switching. I suppose 兴趣真的是可以培养的 :rahrah:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nucleus80 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 pm

zbear wrote:CCAs are not so important in Primary School compared to Secondary School n JC.

It's good to start early. It good to find a hobby to re-direct all the stress away, teach them time management skills too. The students who do well are usually the ones who can manage multiple commitments.

nucleus80
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nucleus80 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 pm

zbear wrote:CCAs are not so important in Primary School compared to Secondary School n JC.

It's good to start early. It good to find a hobby to re-direct all the stress away, teach them time management skills too. The students who do well are usually the ones who can manage multiple commitments.

nucleus80
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:57 pm

nucleus80 wrote:

As the saying goes - different strokes for different people. I don't believe in pushing/rushing my kids to do something when they are not ready. My priority for my kids when they were in Primary School is to build their academic foundation n correct study attitudes. CCA is secondary (my kids have CCA but of little importance).

They learn multi tasking when they started Secondary School and they are doing well too.

Just sharing from personal experience.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:45 pm

zbear wrote:
nucleus80 wrote:

As the saying goes - different strokes for different people. I don't believe in pushing/rushing my kids to do something when they are not ready. My priority for my kids when they were in Primary School is to build their academic foundation n correct study attitudes. CCA is secondary (my kids have CCA but of little importance).

They learn multi tasking when they started Secondary School and they are doing well too.

I think it's good to let them try something and see if they enjoy it; sometimes they may be surprised

However, if they already have a hobby or activity outside of school that they love and keeps them busy then I think it's fine for them to give CCAs a miss but they shouldn't be all about books, books and books.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phtthp » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:26 am

Noticed that not many Girls Sec schools offer Artistic gymnastics cca, apart from NYGH, RGS, SCGS, MGS Secondary

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fable » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:11 pm

nms1 wrote:
zbear wrote:
nucleus80 wrote:It's good to start early. It good to find a hobby to re-direct all the stress away, teach them time management skills too. The students who do well are usually the ones who can manage multiple commitments.

I think it's good to let them try something and see if they enjoy it; sometimes they may be surprised

However, if they already have a hobby or activity outside of school that they love and keeps them busy then I think it's fine for them to give CCAs a miss but they shouldn't be all about books, books and books.

I agree that the focus shouldn't be all about books. To me its about letting them have some space to explore their interests, and showing them that we, their parents, think character / hobbies / interests outside the academic field are important as well.

Yes we need to help them balance work and play - I know which my son would choose if he had no one to police him - but even if they're not doing great in school, i think its important to have hobbies. Else life gets kinda miserable, right?

The problem when it comes to CCA seems to be when its viewed PRIMARILY as a means of DSA. Then words like "enjoy" and "love" go out the window. I think when it comes to CCA for DSA, the child has to be an active decision maker and like the activity enough to think of pursuing it for the next 4 or 6 years

fable
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge