Buying supplement "Text" book for Primary school k

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Buying supplement "Text" book for Primary school k

Postby peapot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 am

Hi! Anyone know where to buy or what to buy text book for primary school kids? I have always find my girl's school text book only teach the very basic concepts be it English or Maths. I think it would be good to have another text to supplement it. But I haven't come across any when I m in Popular. Mostly assessment books.

Anyone is aware of the existence of such books??

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Buying supplement "Text" book for Primary scho

Postby Champion » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 am

peapot wrote:Hi! Anyone know where to buy or what to buy text book for primary school kids? I have always find my girl's school text book only teach the very basic concepts be it English or Maths. I think it would be good to have another text to supplement it. But I haven't come across any when I m in Popular. Mostly assessment books.

Anyone is aware of the existence of such books??

Hi,
Would you like to tell us which level is your girl? What are the textbooks she is using in school?

For my P3 gal, her school is using My Pal's Are Here Maths. I find the notes not comprehensive enough so since P1, I have been using "Shaping Maths" to supplement it.
For English, the school is under Stellar programne but as of this year, the P3 has this Stellar Supplementary Pupil Textbook and Workbook, which understand are new publication from Marshall. I have seen them in Popular Bookstore.

Hope the above helps :D

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peapot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:16 am

Yes, I face the same problem. Their current text is too simple and basic. My girl is in P2. She is using learners for her English text. She never change her English text since P1. She hardly bring back this text because her teacher kept it in school.

Her maths text is called Shaping MAths which I find too simple and does not cover in details questions she faced in assessment books.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:31 am

peapot wrote:Her maths text is called Shaping MAths which I find too simple and does not cover in details questions she faced in assessment books.

Hi,
My gal's Maths teacher recommends this book (though it is also an assessment book) but the content & the notes are very detailed and useful for the child to contemplate and comprehend the mathematical concepts. The name is "Visible Thinking in Mathematics" by Marshall Cavendish; Authors are Ammiel Wan & Tham Xingli. They have the P2 ones too which available in Popular Bookstore now.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 am

peapot wrote:Yes, I face the same problem. Their current text is too simple and basic. My girl is in P2. She is using learners for her English text. She never change her English text since P1. She hardly bring back this text because her teacher kept it in school.

Her maths text is called Shaping MAths which I find too simple and does not cover in details questions she faced in assessment books.

Son used Shaping Maths from P1-P4...switched to My Pals (but both titles are from same publisher though). Shaping Maths is actually better than My Pals. If you want challenging problems, can consider Challenging Problems by Andrew Er.

Since the introduction of Stellar for Eng, there is no more textbook but I use the school recommended Basic Grammar Guide to teach/reinforce what has been taught after worksheets are returned home.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peapot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Oh ya!! I just bought thinking maths.

I was just wondering why do school use such basic text book to teach. Don't they want the students to understand more? Or are the students supposed to help themselves?

Janet_Lee88, I didn't know they have this basic Grammar guide book. Not in the book list too. Where do I buy this?

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby plum-cake » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:08 pm

peapot wrote:Oh ya!! I just bought thinking maths.

I was just wondering why do school use such basic text book to teach. Don't they want the students to understand more? Or are the students supposed to help themselves?

Janet_Lee88, I didn't know they have this basic Grammar guide book. Not in the book list too. Where do I buy this?

You can buy it from popular book shop.
Basic english Grammar. Learners publication. By Anne Seaton, Y. H.Mew.
This book comes in 3 levels. 1st one is Basic english Grammar.

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:06 am

peapot wrote:Oh ya!! I just bought thinking maths.

Janet, I didn't know they have this basic Grammar guide book. Not in the book list too. Where do I buy this?

From Popular...one for lower primary (blue cover), the other is for upper pri.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:44 am

janet_lee88 wrote:From Popular...one for lower primary (blue cover), the other is for upper pri.

Hi Janet,
Thanks for the picture - I was thinking to go popular "hunt" for the book for my P3 gal :D . Good to log into this forum where there are so many gracious parents like you who are willing to take the time to upload pic & share with others :udawoman:

:thankyou:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 am

Champion wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:From Popular...one for lower primary (blue cover), the other is for upper pri.

Hi Janet,
Thanks for the picture - I was thinking to go popular "hunt" for the book for my P3 gal.

I just learnt to upload pics here. No worries.
It's easier to get any book once you see the actual cover. P3 onwards may not be the blue book. Do compare between these 2.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support