Your school teacher as your tutor?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Your school teacher as your tutor?

Postby ApronMama » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:23 am

Dear parents,
I came across this article in the lianghe zaobao yesterday and am quite surprise to learn that it is not something uncommon nowadays. While we are still sharing the tips on choosing tuition/enrichment centre, some people have gone further ahead to bring their school teachers home to tutor their kids, and the fee is as high as $960 per month!!! :!:
Like to hear from you parents ...
Any of you currently on this tuition arrangement for your kids?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Your school teacher as your tutor?

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:41 am

can MOE school teachers moonlight as tutors?
i think such was debated in the papers quite some time ago, whereby parents feel that teacher-tutors may not give their best in their day job and may be distracted by their part time tutor job.
if the teacher is not doing a good enough job teaching during the day whereby my boy needs tuition, i don't think i will engage him/her to tutor my boy. if the teacher is doing a good job teaching during the day, my boy won't be needing tuition. :wink:
and if that teacher is not teaching my boy's class, but is so good that tempts me to hire her, i will feedback to the school to tap on the teacher's expertise - if she is that good, and being a mainstream teacher, she should feedback to her 'boss' to improve the learning or offer to teach those 'special' cases instead of moonlighting. :P
teaching is not merely a job, hence people have high expectations on the conduct of teachers.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ApronMama » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:50 am

jedamum wrote:can MOE school teachers moonlight as tutors?
i.

According to the article, one parent wrote in to complain but the answer he got was that though it is not encouraged it is not against the law to do so.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Not sure whether it is against regulation, but during my time, my JC lecturer moonlight giving tuition. Also saw in some tuition center having MOE teacher as tutor and they cost more.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby kelyn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:39 pm

phantom wrote:

Not sure whether it is against regulation, but during my time, my JC lecturer moonlight giving tuition. Also saw in some tuition center having MOE teacher as tutor and they cost more.

My sis is a primary school teacher, she told me before that MOE allowed them to give tuition few hours per month.

kelyn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:46 pm

Teachers can give tuition but they cannot let their tuition teaching affect their main teaching jobs. They also cannot prepare and mark tuition work during main teaching hours. Teaching duties at school (example those on weekends and at night when having sch open house, speech day or meet-parents session) have priority. They cannot ditch their main duties to teach tuition if schedules clash.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:55 pm

schellen wrote:Teachers can give tuition but they cannot let their tuition teaching affect their main teaching jobs. They also cannot prepare and mark tuition work during main teaching hours. Teaching duties at school (example those on weekends and at night when having sch open house, speech day or meet-parents session) have priority. They cannot ditch their main duties to teach tuition if schedules clash.

Hi schellen, the concern in the article is that the child own school subject teacher is engaged as his own home tutor privately, not whether school teacher can give private tuition.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 am

ApronMama wrote:
schellen wrote:Teachers can give tuition but they cannot let their tuition teaching affect their main teaching jobs. They also cannot prepare and mark tuition work during main teaching hours. Teaching duties at school (example those on weekends and at night when having sch open house, speech day or meet-parents session) have priority. They cannot ditch their main duties to teach tuition if schedules clash.

Hi schellen, the concern in the article is that the child own school subject teacher is engaged as his own home tutor privately, not whether school teacher can give private tuition.

Ya, I saw that too. I see no concern as if the child responds well to teacher and teacher does a good job w/o affecting main job, why not?

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:03 am

ApronMama wrote:Hi schellen, the concern in the article is that the child own school subject teacher is engaged as his own home tutor privately, not whether school teacher can give private tuition.

I think it is not professionally ethical or wise for a school subject teacher to give private tuition to his own student in school. I understand that some school teachers may have access or are exposed to the various assessment questions conducted in the school through the setting, vetting and collating process. If the subject teacher concerned is slotted to set or vet the assessment for the level of the student he is teaching, it is a major concern. I would not hesitate to address such concerns to the principal of the school.

If the teacher is teaching a student of another school, it may be less controversial.

I also observe those teachers who give private tuition are usually the younger ones who are out to moonlight to supplement their income. Though they are trained, they are still "green" and may not have been exposed to the entire syllabus.Experienced and responsible teachers can hardly find time or energies to tutor (even their own children) privately as they already have their hands full in meeting the needs of their own class of students. Juz my opinion.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 am

It's a obvious case of potential conflict of interest if the teacher teaches a child from the school he/ she is teaching in, dun even talk about the student she is teaching in school.

On the other hand, there are always those ads that tuition is by school teacher which is much sought after? I am assuming the teachers are allowed to give tuition otherwise how can they openly "advertise" this?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support