Science Guide Books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Science Guide Books

Postby tiredmama » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Dear parents.. any suggestions / recommendations on what series of science guide books to buy ? I was @ Popular and am overwhelmed by the large range... thinking of doing some HW myself before I really make any purchases..
Thanks for all the tips in advance ... :celebrate: appreciated




Mods' note: To make it easier for members, we have extracted a list of Science books recommended by fellow forummers here, as per Janet_lee88's post (http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 46#p366346)

Recommended Books for Science:
By janet_lee88
1. Longman Science Title is My Weekly Companion' by Alan Tan and Rekha Balakrishnan
2. Conquer Science & Learning Science by SAP
3. Science Process skills ( teachers@work)
4. Perfect Match Science practice
5. PSLE Ultimate Science
'Science Explorer' by Ace
6. Helen Lee - Lower/Upper Block New Syllabus Science Bk 1 & 2 (EPH)
7. i-Science PSLE Guide by Chua (The 'slim' version of Ultimate Science.)

By Champion
1. Classroom Science Process Skill by Casco
2. learning science SAP
3. science partner SAP
4. Science Exam Booster notes EPH
5. The essential Parents' guide to Primary Sci

By Vincent Chua
1. Just Education Clinic or Power Guide Series - building foundation / concepts
2. Just Education Creative Series - with foundation in place, looking for database/inferential question

By cwc
1. Science Concept Map (from MC)
2. Science power guide

By Peony
1. Renee Chong's Science Companion Boxed set
2. Ultimate Science Guide
3. Oxford Primary essentials

By pixiedust
1. EPH PSLE Ultimate Science Guide
PSLE Revision Guide
2. Just Education Distinction Series - with foundation in place, ready to attempt challenging questions

By QuiteKSMum
1. Everyday Science for Primary Level by Teacher Works
2. EPH Helen's books - Upper Block New Syllabus Science Bk 1 & 2
3. EPB Pan Pacific Mini Science Encyclopedia
EPH (?) Janet Sim's books

By Brenda10
1. Pass with PSLE A* Science
2. PSLE Thematic Challenging Science Revision Paper

tiredmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:16 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby cafelatte » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Your child going to P3 next year ? Are you just looking for something to supplement the textbooks ? or assessment/revision papers ? I agree with you there's really a wide range in the market/Popular. I was overwhelmed too !

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:49 pm

I spent 5 days x 4 hours each day at Popular Bras Basah during June holidays to look through the wide range of books. And noticed that more new books came onto the market within the past 2 months.

Depending on the focus & purpose of buying the books, different books have different strengths. I choose books according to my student's learning abilities, so I can't recommend any books that suitable for all.

For example, if your child has very good basic knowledge of Science concepts and you are looking to enhance his/her knowledge, then get 'booster' notes instead of the guide books.

Different guide books also present information differently & everyone will have their own preferences too.

For most of my students, I will pick 1 book (base book) and give them extra notes & teach them to make their own notes. It's more effective than relying solely on 1 book :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby lovingmum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:14 am

personally i like books by Casco publications. i thought they discuss themes more in depth. just my 2 cents worth. others may beg to differ.

lovingmum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:11 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby tiredmama » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:16 pm

cafelatte wrote:Your child going to P3 next year ? Are you just looking for something to supplement the textbooks ? or assessment/revision papers ? I agree with you there's really a wide range in the market/Popular. I was overwhelmed too !


Hi.... yes.. my dd going P3 next year.. am thinking of teaching / coaching her myself .. not sure what kind of guide books on the market that is good, comprehensive and clear... so am looking for some feedback from parents who has bot science guides before.. thanks

tiredmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:16 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby cafelatte » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 pm

Ok, mine is P3 going P4. Just my 2cents worth:

If your child is using MyPals, this is a good supplement to the textbooks :

Image

Besides understanding the facts & concepts, the child must be able to spell the keywords (to avoid losing marks for wrong spelling) correctly and answer fully. Example, there are questions which shows 2 pictures : 1 is a chick with a water dish, 1 is just a chick. Question asks, which one will survive longer and why. If answer is 'It has water', you get 1/2 mark. Answer is 'Chick needs water to survive and chick A has water', you get 1 mark. These are the tricky areas that we have to point out to the child.

I use assessment books & revision papers by Janet Sim. There are revision notes infront of each chapter which I will tear out and file and get my child to highlight or add additional notes along the way. My friend likes Casco assessments too but I haven't had a chance to check them out. I usually don't buy too many as there's not enough time to complete them all.

Lastly, do not give or throw away any of your Science textbooks or notes at the end of P3. P3-P6 Science will be tested in PSLE so in P4, they'll still get some questions on the topics they learnt in P3.

Hope this helps.

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby tiredmama » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:59 pm

cafelatte wrote:Ok, mine is P3 going P4. Just my 2cents worth:

If your child is using MyPals, this is a good supplement to the textbooks :

Image

Besides understanding the facts & concepts, the child must be able to spell the keywords (to avoid losing marks for wrong spelling) correctly and answer fully. Example, there are questions which shows 2 pictures : 1 is a chick with a water dish, 1 is just a chick. Question asks, which one will survive longer and why. If answer is 'It has water', you get 1/2 mark. Answer is 'Chick needs water to survive and chick A has water', you get 1 mark. These are the tricky areas that we have to point out to the child.

I use assessment books & revision papers by Janet Sim. There are revision notes infront of each chapter which I will tear out and file and get my child to highlight or add additional notes along the way. My friend likes Casco assessments too but I haven't had a chance to check them out. I usually don't buy too many as there's not enough time to complete them all.

Lastly, do not give or throw away any of your Science textbooks or notes at the end of P3. P3-P6 Science will be tested in PSLE so in P4, they'll still get some questions on the topics they learnt in P3.

Hope this helps.


Hi... thanks very much.. at least I have something to start on now.. will go popular and check them out... Janet Sim.. the names seems very familiar when I was browsing at the bookshop.. is the series "Science Companion" ? or Challenging Science ?

tiredmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:16 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby cafelatte » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:09 pm

It is Lower Block Science 3-in-1 published by EPH, comes in a box set. My friend told me Casco has more integrated processes questions ...I got to check it out in detail. Challenging Science - another friend uses but her children are under the old science syllabus. This year they introduced new syllabus, no human digestive systems in P3.

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby keroppi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:53 am

Thanks, cafelatte, for the useful information. Will use my 20% popular voucher to get some of the books recommended above.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 am
Total Likes: 5


Re: Science Guide Books

Postby James Ang » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:36 pm

tiredmama wrote:Dear parents.. any suggestions / recommendations on what series of science guide books to buy ? I was @ Popular and am overwhelmed by the large range... thinking of doing some HW myself before I really make any purchases..
Thanks for all the tips in advance ... :celebrate: appreciated


Buy EPH Ultimate Science Guide Book. All my students doing PSLE have at least the EPH Ultimate Science and plus EPH's Sec 1 and Sec 2 science guides for reference because many science experiments can be explained or found in the EPH's Sec 1 and Sec 2 guides, in fact my student's parent was shocked that the question from Maha Bodhi's P5 SA2 on why a thick glass mug will crack when hot water is poured into it and not a thin glass mug, that the exact answer/explanation is in EPH's sec 2 science guide word for word.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support