Science Guide Books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: Science Guide Books

Postby bestwishes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:37 am

Imami wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
Seems quite a number don't like Daily Dose, me too.
The last 2 are better than Daily Dose. :smile:

Thanks bestwishes for the response and your contribution to the assessment books around. I remember reading your comments and recommendations.

Had never considered Daily Dose because I need something more challenging (which brings me to another point later) and also, my kid is not that disciplined to do a bit every day :lol: He prefers "buffet style" when he is in the mood.

The point about challenging stuff - I was surprised to see "Ultimate Science Workbook" being categorised as Advanced stuff under Popular Book Shop's recommendation. Shouldn't it be a staple? Or maybe because Popular only has two category, so it must be considered "advanced". If I need something more challenging than Ultimate Science series, what can I consider?

Challenging Science Examination Papers by EPH
The book is not by topics but by 2 or more combined themes... must have quite some basics before attempting the book. :smile:

bestwishes
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Champion » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:39 am

bestwishes wrote:
Imami wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
Seems quite a number don't like Daily Dose, me too.
The last 2 are better than Daily Dose. :smile:

Thanks bestwishes for the response and your contribution to the assessment books around. I remember reading your comments and recommendations.

Had never considered Daily Dose because I need something more challenging (which brings me to another point later) and also, my kid is not that disciplined to do a bit every day :lol: He prefers "buffet style" when he is in the mood.

The point about challenging stuff - I was surprised to see "Ultimate Science Workbook" being categorised as Advanced stuff under Popular Book Shop's recommendation. Shouldn't it be a staple? Or maybe because Popular only has two category, so it must be considered "advanced". If I need something more challenging than Ultimate Science series, what can I consider?

Challenging Science Examination Papers by EPH
The book is not by topics but by 2 or more combined themes... must have quite some basics before attempting the book. :smile:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bestwishes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:45 am

Thank you, Champion. :smile:
There is an UB Challenging Examination Paper book too.

bestwishes
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:53 am

bestwishes wrote:Thank you, Champion. :smile:

the title champion uploaded is good. it goes by theme and suitable just before CA or SA. i alternate between lower and upper block for revision.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 am

bestwishes wrote:Thank you, Champion. :smile:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 am

bestwishes wrote:Challenging Science Examination Papers by EPH

thanks, will take a look when I next pop into Popular Book Shop.
If the kid is in p5, would you think to go straight to PSLE version or still go for upper block? Assuming the kid has been using lower block of the same series.

Or if buy upper block already, still need to buy psle version? And example would be the ultimate science series - they have lb, hb and psle!

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:50 am

Imami wrote:thanks, will take a look when I next pop into Popular Book Shop.
If the kid is in p5, would you think to go straight to PSLE version or still go for upper block? Assuming the kid has been using lower block of the same series.

Or if buy upper block already, still need to buy psle version? And example would be the ultimate science series - they have lb, hb and psle!

if the child is in p5, personally i will buy upper block since there are new topics not taught.
for guidebook, i would get the psle one if it includes lower and upper block topics.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:27 am

janet88 wrote:
Imami wrote:thanks, will take a look when I next pop into Popular Book Shop.

if the child is in p5, personally i will buy upper block since there are new topics not taught.
for guidebook, i would get the psle one if it includes lower and upper block topics.

Thanks Janet. Would your answer vary according to the ability of the kid?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Imami wrote:Thanks Janet. Would your answer vary according to the ability of the kid?

the keywords must be presented and answered in sequential order.
the challenging science assessment book gives a detailed answer structure for open ended questions. she has to learn to answer the way markers expect.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cmjesoftware » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:05 am

Hi all!

Have you seen the Science Booster from My Pals Are Here? I think it's quite new? It's comprehensive, in my opinion. And they included real-life examples to explain concepts. My gal usually doesn't liked reading Sci guide books, but it actually caught her attention to read. Just the price of the books are on the high side.

cmjesoftware
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support